Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Just Another Manic Monday

Oscar
This is what Oscar looks like in a non-blind-contour drawing. I did both this drawing, and the one I posted for Blind Contour Friday on the same evening. It never fails to amaze me how warming up with a blind contour drawing can so dramatically assist in a drawing like this - and the comparison is always so much fun.

There is still plenty of time to participate in the Blind Contour Friday challenge - or you can start planning for this coming Friday and play along then!

********

Rumor has it that the sun is going to make an appearance today...I'm very hopeful that it will, indeed. The rain of the past week has sapped my energy and made me want to hibernate for the next few months and I'm just not really ready for that, yet.

If it does come out, I have a feeling that our reading will be taking place in a sunny patch at the park, rather than in the schoolroom...

Fingers crossed....

6 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the sketches by Toulouse Lautrec! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you Sheila! What a nice thing to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diahn, your lines are always so true to the form of the object you are drawing. Simply perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful sketch

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Sheila - very Toulouse Lautrec and very cool. Diahn, since your post I've tried a slew of blind contour drawings. It's a hoot. All of mine are ending up Picassos - noses where ears should be, etc. I've never done this before - is there something I am missing? Do you have to hold a finger down to know where you left off or something? I even drew images on top of other blind contour drawings because I was so intent on not looking that I redrew on used pages! Like I said, a hoot. One figure came out sorta ok, I figured I might post it - then I drew a car on top of it! Nothing after that is even remotely postable. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) Dan - they aren't supposed to look fantastic - especially in the beginning.

    Take a deep breath.

    Now - the way I do it is to go really S L O W L Y. I try to force my pen to move at the same pace as my eyes, and it usually works out okay in the end. Imagine that you are using the movement of your eyes to actually outline the object that you are drawing.

    it should be kind of meditative and calming...and really ridiculous looking when you get done. And then you post it, no matter how crazy it looks...

    The more you do, the more you'll start to see...

    Sounds really Zen, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete