Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

Blind Contour Friday - Week 2


Welcome back, my friends! I hope you all stopped and took a little time this week to really observe the world around you and that you all found something to look at so intensely, you could draw it without looking at your paper...

I did. I actually made a few blind contour drawings this week, but this one just seemed to take me into that lovely right brained, time-lapse zone, so I decided it was the one I would share. It's the old standby - the model I always have with me...

Blind Contour Hand

With a little prodding from Connie, I decided to give you all a link that I've found very useful, especially when I am just feeling uninspired about what, exactly, to draw. The Everyday Matters Yahoo group is a virtual cornucopia of creativity. There are people from all walks of life, artistic skill levels and backgrounds there, and they share their art and their desire to make art a part of, well, every day. The group was inspired by the book, Everyday Matters, by Danny Gregory, which you should all read if you haven't yet.

Anyway - they've had a list of prompts going on for 244 weeks, now, and they are all listed at Karen Winters's blog, The Creative Journey. Use it as a jumping off point to help decide what to draw, but don't feel like you have to go in order or anything - just find a subject and go for it.

I'd like to give a special thanks to everyone who played along last week - you all were wonderful! I hope you don't mind, but I've put together a little snippet of a mosaic of them...

Bottom Row: Zelma, Connie, Florence, Me

Remember to add the link to your Blind Contour Friday post to Mr. Linky down there, so we can all come see your fabulous drawing, and please remember to link your post back here, so others can find us and play along.

And - while it isn't required that you leave me a comment, please feel free to - I heart comments...

Really. I heart comments.


13 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Hi Diahn, This is fun and interesting. I am most impressed with your hand; you must have great hand/eye coordination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful project idea and i really like your hand drawing. When I can get back to my regular routine (whatever that is) I'd definitely like to jump in on these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this. Thank you for starting it. I had an art teacher tell a class once that you should try to do blind contours weekly if not daily. I never got around to do that, but now with the help of you, I'll being doing more.
    Loved your Monty Python Link. We just bought the complete series to mark the 40th anniversary. When my daughter was 5 she had the Dead Parrot skit memorized. We were walking with a group of friends (adults and children)once and past a dead bird. Some of the children were afraid or upset by the sight so to calm them one of the mothers said, "It's not dead, it's resting." Well that triggered my daughter to start to recite the skit. The other parents tried to get her to stop but she continued on. They were upset at me because I didn't help,I was surprised and impressed that she had the whole thing memorized at five and couldn't stop laughing. We were never invited out on a walk with them again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great drawing - love in on the kraft paper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peggy - thank you - I work on the eye-hand coordination a lot - I'm glad to hear you think it's paying off! :)

    Ann - love to have you join us!

    Florence - that's hysterical. My nephew learned one of the songs that's rather, uhm, well, inappropriate, let's say. When he was 3 or 4, he could sing all the words, even thought he had no idea what they meant. His mom decided that listening to their comedy tapes in the car might not be the best idea...

    Char - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did mine this week! Glad you started this back up.
    :-D
    I'm laughing over Florence's story -- and I remember which song you told me your nephew sang! Very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome hand! I'm inspired to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) Linda - yep. It wasn't good. But it was funny. Except that it wasn't. :)

    Linda T - Great! I'd love for you to join us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I'm pretending it's Friday over on my blog.

    Egads, Diahn, how did you ever do that blind? I'm making people guess what mine is this week, and kinda hoping it isn't that hard...

    Honestly, I AM a professional artist. For 30 years. Yeah, really. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy moly...your blind contour of your hand looks better than when I sketch anything normally!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Diahn,

    Mine is a bit sad, but I think if I stay focused and determined, I will improve.

    Boy, it is really hard not to peek.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vicki, It IS hard not to peek.
    Diahn, Wow. You are really good at this! In the instructions for blind contour, it usually says to be quick....but your work looks so steady and unhurried. How long did it take you to draw your arm? Just curious...and learning!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Connie - I ignore those instructions and go VERY VERY SLOWLY. That's the only way I can do it.

    For me, doing a blind contour drawing is sort of a right-brain resort vacation - I want to soak it in and take my time. I have no idea how long it took to draw it, (because of that whole RB thing...) but it was NOT fast.

    Maybe this week, I'll post a little about my own process when I do a blind contour...if I can remember how... :)

    ReplyDelete