Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

A Tale of Two Cities: Part E - Let Me Explain...

...no - is too much - lemme sum up...

When it comes down to it, there's no one place that can truly win out over another.  This experience of living in an urban environment is wonderful, educational, eye-opening, and culturally enriching.  It exposes all of us to experiences we wouldn't be able to recreate in our small city, or even with short visits to large cities.  The immersion of our family into a completely different living dynamic is an amazing experience.

However.

Here in the 'burbs we have things that the city can't hold a candle to.  We have friendships that have been grown over the course of our children's lives and that we would be lost without.  We have our own plot of land, small as it is, and the joy of growing and building and renovating it.  We have a lake to fish in and catch frogs in and to fall in and get muddied up in.

020

We have long summer days and temperate winters.  We have a national treasure in our backyard.  We have a cul-de-sac full of boys and the best neighbors you could ask for.

Culdesac-annotated

We're closer to our family in Alabama here.

Linda left a comment a while back, "Don't get too comfy."  And I have to say that there's really very little danger in that.  I'm a bit of a hermit at heart.  All those people pressing in on me will start to wear thin, and I'll long for my space in the sticks - my backyard deck where no one can see me.

But I'm going to embrace the urban while it lasts, and seek out every little nuance I can.

And now...back to your regularly scheduled program...

6 comments:

  1. I've loved this comparison series. Thanks for sharing. I'm nothing if not a curious voyeur into the lives and times of other people. (that sounds creepy doesn't it...change that to fascinated with all kinds of life experiences...hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who recognizes that first line? Ooooh ... oooh! I do, I do!
    :-D What a great movie!

    Enjoy urbania while you can. Then come back home. We'll still be here.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit of a voyeur, too, I'm afraid. But I think it's okay...

    :-D Linda - I KNEW you'd get it. It was inconceivable that you wouldn't...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't tell me you're a Princess Bride fan, too? It's my all-time favorite and Indigo is awesome. Much better than the wussy Farm Boy.

    Enjoying the glimpse into your life, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, Karen! I just bought the DVD and watched it with my boys. Junebug is already quoting all the lines along with me and annoying his father as much as I normally do...

    "'Allo. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die..."

    There's not one line in that movie that isn't brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you really do live on a cul-de-sac of boys!!!! too fun! i hear you on the hermit thing. i too prefer quiet and few people. our little subdivision suits me just fine.

    ReplyDelete