Pages

Thursday, March 05, 2009

The Cardinal Sin of Cardinals

Purdy

Vanity, of course.  (Or hubris, or pride - call it what you want.)  Have you listened to the one outside YOUR window?  Always talking about how pretty he is?  Purdypurdypurdy.  Yeah.  We get it.  You're pretty.  Now be quiet so I can go back to sleep.

This is less of a blind contour, and more of an extremely near-sighted contour drawing.  At some points, I didn't look at my sketchbook at all, while in others, I followed my pen more carefully.  I am enjoying these birdies, and have a few more planned for my evenings.  I was playing around with the crow in Adobe Illustrator yesterday and added a few random color bits.  THAT is fun.

Graphic-crow

Last night, as I was filling in the thought bubble on the cardinal drawing with little spiral snail-like shapes, I found myself entering a completely Zen state.  What is it about carefree drawing - that is, drawing for no other reason than you feel like it - that is so relaxing? 

I don't know either. 

But it is. 

6 comments:

  1. Hee hee hee -- you have those cardinal sounds down pat! They always nest in our front bushes, except this year they will be in for a surprise with Chaos hanging around. I hope they find SOMEPLACE safe to, well, you know what they need to do. I love the bird series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you could see the thought bubble above my head right now you would see that it says "Gosh, I wish I could draw as good as Diahn!"

    Love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chaos needs a bell, Linda. Oooh. That sounds like a phrase from a strange science fiction novel. :-)

    steviewren - we'd need much bigger thought bubbles to fit all that nonsense in. But thanks! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I like both versions of the crow, but the color definitely conveys their cheeky personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are both wonderful. i especially like the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I get you a scepter of gold and find your sparkly tiara will you make me a set of birds for my guest bedroom? Then you can see them when you come home! They are WONDERFUL!!!!! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete