Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

Spiro-gyro

Hypotrochoid

While we were at the National Gallery of Art this week,  I spied a little prize that I just had to have.  It is called a Hypotrochoid Art Set, but if you grew up in the 70s, you probably would have called it a Spirograph.  I cannot even begin to describe to you how much I wanted a Spirograph.  I longed for one.  Of course, knowing me, I probably never told anyone how much I wanted one, so of course, I never got one, although I had friends who had them and they let me play occasionally.

So, anyway.  I bought a couple of the Hypotrochoid Art Sets, one for each of the boys. 

Ahem. 

Okay, perhaps one's for them and one's for me.  That's neither here nor there.  I had to test them, to make sure they worked.   What kind of irresponsible parent do you take me for?

And omigosh.  they are so much fun.  It's like twirling around in a big princess skirt, except with pens on paper.

Now, if only I had my scepter of gold and a sparkly tiara...

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:39 PM

    fabulous! you've got me hunting the web to locate one :D i did have one when growing up and would love to have a go at one again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yipee! I had one and LOVED it! Your description is perfect...
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one! It was fun fun fun, and I used to put different colored pens in and make these awesome designs. Sigh. I'd like to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can get you one of those there sparkly crowns and glittery sceptres.

    Yessirree bob.

    Ain't it great to be a grown up?

    And you can have cookies for breakfast, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:49 AM

    i have plenty of scepters and tiaras around here that i'd love to pass on ... if i could just pry them out of my daughter's hands. sigh.

    now i'm off to google spirographs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Thank Heavens I'm not the only one!!! I found a 'spirograph-type' thing at a stationery store in the kids area recently (you find the coolest things there that they think adults won't want...cough...) and HAD to buy it - just for research purposes, you understand!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As soon as I saw the twirly designs, I knew what it was and raced to leave a comment! We had one at my Grandmother's house and couldn't wait to go and find that magical box. Seems I'm not the only one. Funny how just the images of those designs and colors of red, green, blue and black take us all back so quickly!

    I want my tetherball pole back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had one too but looking at these lovely doodles, I wish I still had it! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we had a few pieces, but I was too uncoordinated to get it to work correctly without skipping. And now, I so want my own full set.... Oh, what fun thoughts you've inspired in all of us...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had one as a kid and it was one of my favorite toys. I'd like to have one now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember buying one of thoes for my son too... I still have it and play with it every now and then... great fun! It's among the things I told him I was going to keep around for grandchildren .... sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had one of those - loved it! I still have it, my folks saved everything, and it's my daughter's now :)

    ReplyDelete