Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Day Late

World Poetry Day was yesterday.  I have a love/hate relationship with poetry, based mainly on the completely stupid process of breaking down poems that I learned in college.  I'm sorry if you happen to like dissecting artwork and attempting to decipher deeper, hidden meanings.  I've always loved reading poetry and enjoying it for the emotion it elicits immediately.

I'm the same way about viewing paintings and other visual media.

So, in honor of World Poetry Day, and in honor of poets everywhere who don't appreciate having their poems carved up and served lukewarm to literature students, I give you...

Introduction to Poetry, by Billy Collins

Please click over and read it.  I didn't want to reprint it without Mr. Collins' permission.

I'll be back tomorrow with the first installment of my urban/suburban life comparison, and maybe a birdie or two.

3 comments:

  1. That was funny....tie a poem to a chair and beat a confession out of it...I remember doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely BRILLIANT poem, and you get huge points for finding it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Points! I'm going to write them down RIGHT NOW! :-D

    ReplyDelete