Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Backin' It Up

The boys (small and big) and I are training for a 5K race next month. We don't have high expectations - we just want to finish, together, have fun and MOVE a little.

Anyway - every day,when Dr. SmartyPants gets home from the think tank, we've been going out for our run/walk on a newly constructed, yet-to-be-opened road behind our neighborhood. As we walked past the "Road Closed" signs on Friday, Doodlebug called out that he had found something REALLY COOL. I THINK IT IS BONES! He then wished aloud that we had a scientist that we could ask about them, whereupon I gave him a withering look and reminded him that he lived with TWO. Sheesh.

In any case, it was bones, and after our walk (where I found a tattered plastic bag) we picked them up and brought them home. After a great deal of boiling and bleaching and boiling again, we determined that they were vertebrae, put them all back together like a puzzle and started investigating online.


Snake Vertebrae

They are definitely snake vertebrae - when put back together in a neat little line, they wiggle perfectly back and forth on the prettiest little ball and socket joints I've ever seen.

And I've seen alot. Granted - most of the ones I've dealt with were 150 million years old and petrified, but that doesn't mean I don't know anything.

Sheesh.

4 comments:

  1. :-D Sheesh, indeed! You CAN'T be a scientist -- you're MOM and AN ARTIST. Hee hee hee! Doesn't it make you wonder what misconceptions you had (and may still have) about your own parents?

    Lovely drawing of the lovely bones. I love bones. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous little nature study!!! And fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:42 PM

    Thank you very much for sharing.
    Through your blog, a lot of people including me of course have a chance to read and learn from.
    I have read some of your post and I really enjoyed reading it.
    Thanks again and looking forward for more of your posting soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diahn going back to some posts I missed here. you do the neatest things with your boys. How lucky for them and awesome for you.

    ReplyDelete