Pages

Friday, November 30, 2007

Forty-Five


IMG_0001, originally uploaded by diahn.


On November 30, 1962, this lovely woman married a tall Air Force airman and began a journey that would take them across two continents, a small island in the South Pacific, and six states.

Three children, five grandchildren and one great-grandson later they are still going strong. They're trying retirement on for size and starting to plan where they want to go next. They've inspired many people with their devotion to God, family and country; with their pioneering spirit that has led them to do things like build their own house (and I do mean literally - other than foundation and roof) on 20 acres of land in what used to be the middle of nowhere, and fly planes across the country and the world (she was the first woman to solo a plane at the Aero Club in Guam).

They taught their children, by example, what exactly a work ethic is by working hard every single day, and taught them how to always take the high road, no matter what someone else is doing. They taught them that honesty really IS the best policy by being scrupulously honest in every single thing.

So, Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad. I wish I had a picture of Dad to post here, as well, but all I could find was one from his Zorba the Greek days. I love you both very much.

And Mom - you are as beautiful now as you were in this photograph...

4 comments:

  1. sniff, this is so incredible sweet Diahn! Wonderful tribute. Happy Anniversary to them

    And, congrats to you for posting everyday in the month of November. I have enjoyed each and every post. Am I going to see some of your beautiful art next month??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Diahn's sister, Kristen. I just wanted to say I am so proud to have parent's like my mom and dad. It is very rare that two people can stay together through as many hardships as they have had. My greatest hope is that one day I might be able to find someone like my dad who will love me as much as he loves my mom. What Diahn said about the high road is so true and I can never thank them enough for teaching something like that to me. It is very hard to take that high road and it makes me feel like a very good human being that I can do that. My mother often says, "if only I could have been a better mother" and I tell her that no one could be a better mother than her. She did everything right. Even her mistakes were right! Thanks mom and dad for being! Thanks Diahn for acknowleding them! I love you! K

    ReplyDelete
  3. She IS beautiful! Great tribute to your entire family.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photo...and your mom is beautiful! A Happy anniversary and I agree with Teri..it is a lovely tribute.
    ronell

    ReplyDelete