Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Magnificent One


Fall Break Trip 186, originally uploaded by diahn.


I have a dog named Oscar who is perhaps the best dog EVER.

Unlike Chico, he doesn't snitch my chocolate or growl at my children. He's funny and quirky and way too smart. I swear he speaks English, or at least understands it, and I mean in the way that I understand English, not in a "sit, stay, roll over" way.

We adopted Oscar from the local humane society when he was just about 6 or 8 weeks old. He was so small, he could sit in my cupped hands. The folks at the adoption center told us he was a Boston Terrier/Jack Russell Terrier mix, and would probably grow to be about 15-20 pounds.

Right. He weighs about 50 right now, and that's not just because of his middle-aged paunch. I don't know what he is, but I wish I did, because I would have 5 more just like him, and breed them and sell them as the best dog EVER.

He's about 7 1/2 years old, now, just 6 months younger than my oldest son. His face is flecked with gray and his eyes are starting to dim a little, but he's still pretty frisky. We call him the bionic dog because he had to have surgeries on both of his rear legs to correct a congenital problem with his kneecaps and he recently had one of the toes on his front foot removed. Please don't ask me how much all of that cost, because I'll lie.

And I would pay it all over again if we could keep him forever.

4 comments:

  1. He looks like a sweety. My cat's starting to get elderly too - yesterday he missed his jump up to my desk, and he looked so embarrassed. I want him to live forever too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, he is adorable. I once had a dog that was that smart also. He would take the baby and pull her back on the blanket if she crawled off, amonst other great things. Oh, and once he put the milkman up against the wall when he accidently came into the house when the mild shoot was locked. (I feel old talking about mild shoots ) I had to jump out of bed to save the milkman :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diahn
    I wanted you to know I have enjoyed your month of pictures and read almost all of your posts this month so far. Wonderful job. I especially love this post about your dog who looks wonderful. Makes me smle knowing your boys have a great companion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oscar IS cool. :-) I hope he stays around for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete