Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ridiculous


Fall Break Trip 168, originally uploaded by diahn.


I love being ridiculous. Especially with my kids, and especially when I do something outrageous and silly that they really aren't expecting. Let's face it - in general, moms are the serious order-keeping parents and dads are the silly ones. That's how it was when I was growing up, and that's pretty much how my family is now. I keep the peace, Dr. SmartyPants comes in and wreaks the havoc.

Every now and then, though - like my mother before me - I feel the urge do something absolutely ridiculous, and it never fails to delight my sons, especially if I can incorporate bodily functions or rude noises. (My mother never incorporated bodily functions or rude noises - I inherited that gift from my father.) My mom liked April Fool's jokes and got us every year with some prank or another.

My silliness tends towards making up songs about underwear or farts. To a certain aged boy - that's hysterical...especially if you MOM sings about it. I have no doubt that my boys will be singing the words I added to the classic one-hit wonder song "Mickey" which originally goes something like:

Oh, Mickey, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, Hey Mickey...Hey Mickey.

My version was close...

O D, You're so smart, you're so smart you make me...well, you get the idea.

They sang it to my MIL who refused to believe that I had anything to do with it. I had a version for J, too - but the word rhymed with cute.

Hey - you've gotta laugh, right? I mean, there's only so much joy you can get from getting all the laundry done in one day. I'm going to go break out my guitar and try to remember the words to the song I made up while we were camping...simply titled, "Underwear."

Listen for it on a radio station near you....

2 comments:

  1. OMG! we were separated at birth!!

    Isn't it funny how kids love 'bathroom humor' (as my daughter calls it.

    Delightful post! I was giggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D I'll be singing that for days now.

    ReplyDelete