Pages

Thursday, November 08, 2007

You've Got Mail

031

Were you ever a pen pal when you were a kid? Do you remember the excitement of getting a card or a letter in the mail? My grandmother used to write me little notes or send cards and I would literally jump up and down with excitement when my mom told me I had one. It didn't matter what was inside, although that was special too...it was the event that was exciting. Someone cared enough to write my name on the outside of an envelope and stick a stamp on it and mail it off to me. And if it happened to be a box instead of an envelope...whoa...over the moon, I'll tell ya.

My kids are like that now. I love when the mail truck drops off a package from their Nanny and Pop-pop. They squeal at the door - "It's for us!!!! Mom...what is it...can we open it...nowmomnowholycowwhatisitwhoisitfrom?" What is it about the mail that excites us so much?

I still get pumped up about receiving mail. I even get excited when something I've ordered shows up. It's not a surprise. I PAID for it. But that FedEx truck rolls to the curb and the man in blue steps out with a little perfect Amazon.com package just for ME! WooHoo!!! Internet shopping was made for people like me. I don't get nearly this excited when I purchase something in a store and it gets shoved in a bag and I carry it home myself. There is something holy and pure about the package that arrives at your door, lovingly delivered by UPS or DHL or USPS or carrier pigeon. Bubble wrap and cellophane protect it from damage. There's usually a note that tells me how MUCH my order was appreciated and to PLEASE visit again soon.

I've got two orders out there right now.

I think I just heard a truck.

Gotta run. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:43 PM

    I know what you mean!
    I was "pen pal" with my father's aunt while growing up and learned to love watching for the mail. Later, it was letters from my soon-to-be husband; we "courted" through letters because he was in the Navy.
    And today, I am blessed to pass the excitement of receiving mail on to my grandchildren. Today I gathered colorful fall leaves to mail to 4-yr. old Mikala in Houston, who has never seen the pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PMG, you write the funest things! I feel the same way but did you read about my mail woes yesterday. That darn post office just takes the fun out of receiving mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just hear the kids screaming that long run on sentence, too!
    ;-D What did you order that was so fun?????? (I even like other people's mail...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got inspired by janey and ordered a book on sock animals (and glove animals...COOL)...that arrived TODAY! I'm waiting on MOO stickers and some new slick (I hope) business cards...

    lalala I love to shop online lalalala I do it all the time
    lalalalala My hubby's going to take away my Creeeeeedit Caaaarrrdd...

    :D

    ReplyDelete