Pages

Friday, November 02, 2007

Impermanence

070

My youngest son pulled me over to this leaf stain the other day. He thought it was so amazing and we stopped and examined it for a while and talked about why it was there. I had walked right by it a dozen or so times that day, taking photos of the kids playing, of the beautiful things framed by a deep blue autumn sky. I certainly wasn't thinking about looking down at the concrete driveway for beauty.

But he was. Of course, it helps that he's only 4 feet tall, but that's not the only reason. Children have a natural fascination with the world around them. They wonder and contemplate and meditate in ways that most adults have lost. We zip by this and that to get to the other and then complain once we are there that the time is going by too quickly. I'm very guilty of that. This year has flown by. Has time somehow sped up? Has the rotation of the earth increased just enough to take away a minute or two of each day?

No. But I've sped up. I walk quickly by nature. I walk more quickly by design. I do laundry instead of drawing with my kids. I take photos of the sky and forget to look at the ground. I forget that some moments are fleeting and I should take a moment to drink them in.

The leaf stain was gone the next day, but I have a photo of it, now. The wisdom and wonder of a six year old pulled me to it.

Thank you, J.

4 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely post! My son is off sick today (he got up mid-day looking a lot better) and it reminds me, because I was so worried at first, that time can snatch away our loved ones in a second and we should do those things that we keep putting off, now not later or in some imaginary 'quiet moment'. I love this photo - it reminds me of my eldest son who used to spot anything shaped like a heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful image and your commentary and thoughts show a lot of introspection. Now, and I speak for myself, if we could only keep that child-like view of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful reminder to slow down -- stop -- breathe! Great photo, and tell J that he has a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful and unusual photo (and post). I am just starting to introduce my daughter (14 months) to drawing and am so looking forward to being able to share her way of looking at things, and the discoveries she makes.

    ReplyDelete