Pages

Friday, November 09, 2007

Vanity...thy name is Diahn


Fall Break Trip 039, originally uploaded by diahn.

About 3 weeks ago I had an appointment with an orthodontist. He took molds of my teeth to make a plaster model; he took pictures with my lips all stretched back, etc. Not exactly a self-esteem building experience.

Yesterday I went back for the consultation, where I got to look, up close and personal, at my crooked teeth. Man. Okay - here's the deal. I'm 39 years old. I've had these crooked teeth most of my life. I never had the luxury of orthodonture as a child - my family wasn't poor, exactly, we just didn't have alot of extras. I also have very poor vision, so new glasses and contacts were the priority, not a little misalignment of the front teeth.

Mind you - they aren't grossly crooked. Other people have told me that they never noticed they were crooked at all. I notice, though. And not long ago, my oldest son, D, said "Hey, mom. You should get braces like Ashlyn's mom." So my kids notice. My husband says I'm beautiful no matter what my teeth look like, but that if I want them, get them. And he really means it.

But, they've always bothered me. Not on a huge level, but they bother me more than my bloggy bottom or the various patches of cellulite on way too many parts of my body, so I think I'll get them fixed. I think. I find that having wanted to do this for so many years, I am really struggling with commitment. It will take 2 years, a bunch of money and a bit of pain and discomfort, all for the sake of a pretty smile.

A pretty smile...

I love to smile.

You'll just have to call me metal-mouth, I guess.

4 comments:

  1. But just think of all the art fun you can have with those metals :) I can already visualize it.

    I never had any of the experiences or emotions you talk about-not me or my kids but I have one granddaughter that had them. And she survived as I 'm sure you will and with a smile on your face :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of the people who have never noticed any problem at all with your smile, but I say, if you want to do it, go for it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How strange is this? Two days ago I had an appointment with my orthodontist for the same reason. My mould has been done and looking at my teeth make me cringe. I have my brace fitted next month... 18 months of metal in my mouth for the sake of my smile. The worst part of this for me is that I have to stand infront of teens everyday .....and it will also no doubt affect my flute playing.
    Glad to know I'm not alone and we can help each other along the way.
    Just think of our lovely smiles at the end of this. I'll be able to wear lipstick too!!! Avoided it cos I don't like to draw attention to my mouth.
    MD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! A friend to join me on my journey!! Marie-Dom, at then end of this, we'll have to post our beautiful smiles!!

    ReplyDelete