Pages

Monday, November 12, 2007

Incognito


Incognito, originally uploaded by diahn.

Have you ever wanted to be someone completely different than who you are? I have. I've wanted to be an astronaut, an adventurer, an actor on Broadway, a photographer for National Geographic.

I've wanted to be a veterinarian, a paratrooper and a novelist.

As a matter of fact, there are very few things that at some point in my life I didn't want to be. I changed my major a solid dozen times in the first two years of college, then I got a couple of degrees that I don't even use, except when there's an interesting program on Discovery and I need to explain some concepts to my kids.

Say it with me, "Lith-o-sphere...Lithosphere. Good job." If you are familiar with the term, you have either studied geology or you watch a great deal of educational television...

Okay - moving on...I have a point here somewhere. I think. Ah, yes - here it is. (I think it's the sinus meds that are making me so lalalala...) I believe, that regardless of your age or circumstances, you should be what you've always dreamed of being. Even if it is only for a day, or a week, or a month, or a year. Look into it! Always wanted to draw? DRAW! Always wanted to write a novel? WRITE! Always wanted to be a zebra? Well - you get the point. Life is too short to decide that trying is futile.

So, maybe you'll never be an astronaut, but I hear Space Camp is fun. I'll probably never be featured in National Geographic, but I will still take photographs of animals and nature just in case. Don't get me wrong - I love who I am - wife, mother, artist, friend - and I hope you love who you are, too...

...but dreaming and reaching are very good things...

2 comments:

  1. ...very good things indeed.

    LOVE the zebra makeup. And as far as your photos go, National Geographic should get so lucky (do those people never even CHECK Flickr?) ...
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have such interesting posts. I am loving these days in November!

    ReplyDelete