Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Who, Me?

Nine years ago I was pregnant with my first born son, D.  If you had asked me then if I had ever considered homeschooling him, I would have laughed and told you that I was already looking forward to the day when I would drop him off at Kindergarten and drive merrily away to my own life for the 7 or so hours he would be occupied with SCHOOL.

Just a few months later I would have gladly strangled anyone who tried to pry him out of my arms.  Because OH MY GOSH - have you seen him?



You're telling me that in 5 short years after his birth, I have to give him away to be raised by a school system that has no idea how brilliant he is**?

I don't think so.

Then, 7 years ago (next week as a matter of fact) our little Junebug joined the crew and only strengthened my resolve to chew on those cheeks for as long as I could manage it.



I mean - really.



So today - we began our first year as 100% homeschoolers.  And it was good.  We're taking an eclectic approach and trying lots of different things.  The boys are reading on the same level, so that's the level of reading we're working on, regardless of the grade in which they happen to be.  Same goes with science and handwriting and spelling.  Math and Grammar are separated by grade, but those are the only two.



And those cheeks?  Right where I want them.  And you must compare this one to a more recent shot...

**That's an entire series of blog posts right there - let me tell you.  And maybe when I'm feeling a bit ranty about school system in this country, I'll let fly.  For now...let's just keep it all happy and sweet, shall we?

3 comments:

  1. Awwwww!!! You're the best homeschooling mom I know -- no joke. If you ever want to really add to the eclectic approach, you can always drop them off to work with me one day and we'll learn about how to read a calendar and about doing the things that are ON the calendar, and about putting things in alphabetical order, and then how they have to put them in different things called "files", and how sometimes grownups don't pick up their things and a person called a "manager" has to either say sharp things to them or just pick it up for them. Yeah. That would be an education. Or THEY could just come and show the grownups how to pick up their own things ...

    Nah. They're getting a MUCH better education with you!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:06 PM

    Good luck with your homeschooling. I homeschooled for several years and found it to be a very rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you, but I thanked God the day I got to drop mine off! LOL!

    ReplyDelete