Pages

Monday, August 18, 2008

Bookish

I've always had my head in the clouds and my nose in a book.  Some have moved me more than others; rarely have I started one and not finished it.  I just love reading.  I love seeing the words on the page.  I love the smell of the paper and the ink.  I love that people can come up with completely original stories of heartache and loss, of joy and love, of darkness and evil.  

I love it all.

My favorites tend to be books about life - languid slices of the ordinary, intermingled with those extraordinary moments that make life rich.   Thrillers are great, mysteries are fun, but a book about a year in the life of your average person...rising above not so average adversity?  A book about ordinary people who are really the heroes of life?  

That's the stuff, there.

My all-time favorite book is "To Kill a Mockingbird," by Harper Lee.  It's a book that has shaped my views in so many ways - how I treat people, how I view life.  I read it at least once a year, just to make sure that I don't forget how quickly things can degenerate when we make assumptions based on stereotype and fear.  A year or so ago, I read another book that reminded me of "To Kill a Mockingbird."  It was "The Secret Life of Bees," by Sue Monk Kidd.  

Hmmm...  Birds and Bees...just made that connection.

Anyway, the film version of "Bees" comes out in October.  I'm excited and apprehensive about it - on the one hand, I would love to see it on the big screen, acted WELL, as "Mockingbird" was in 1962.  On the other hand, how many movies have I seen, adapted from novels I loved, that just didn't live up to the book at all?  

Countless.

But...I have hope...and Queen Latifah.

  'Secret Life Of Bees' Theatrical Trailer @ Yahoo! Video

Click the thumbnail for the preview.  Wait for October.  Come see it with me.  

'Kay?

1 comment:

  1. Yipee!!! Okay -- from the looks of the trailer, this one might -- and I mean MIGHT -- turn out GOOD!!

    I love that book. They better not mess it up. But I'm like you -- I love Queen Latifah.

    ReplyDelete