Pages

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Identity Crisis

Dr. SmartyPants has been very concerned about all these pictures I've been posting. He's suggested that perhaps I was adopted by this family and they have pictures of some random girl that isn't me, that they've been telling me is me all this time. He says that none of the pictures look anything like me. Or the me that I am now.

He also wanted to know when I started looking like the me that I am now.

I don't know.

I think they all look like me. Because I've seen them all before and I know they are me, by gum.

I've just changed a lot in the last 40 years. Doesn't everyone? Fashions change, hairstyles change (mine more than some people's - but that's a post for another day), weight changes. Everything changes.

When I was 10, and hanging out with Spiderman, I looked like this:

IMG_0001

But it's still me.

When I was 14 and starting my world piano tour (okay, not really), I looked like this:

IMG_0002

But it's still me.

When I was 17 and rivaling Madonna for coolness, I looked like this:

IMG_0005

And no. I wasn't drunk. I have a lazy left eye. But it's still me.

Unfortunately.

I'm starting to see that the 1980s were really not kind to me. My memories of me back then were that I was cool and punk and a rock star and awesome and apparently no one ever took any pictures of me being cool and punk and a rock star and awesome. They only took pictures of me being lame and stupid and drunk. Drunk-looking. I was in high school for crying out loud. I didn't drink.

My mom reads this blog.

So. Now that I'm almost 40, I realize that I have no idea which of these pictures is me. Am I the cool punk rockstar I've always thought, or am I the lame dork?

My little sister just told me I'm a nerd. And that nerds are cool. Okay.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have someone take a new picture of me and I'll let you all be the judge of that.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:08 PM

    It's so much fun going down memory lane with you! Can't wait to see the current photo, although you have one on your blog. Our family is busy scanning old photos, which gave rise to my "Our Homes" series of sketches, so we too spend time analyzing older versions of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee -- cool Nashville country-rock star! Actually, I think the 14 year old piano prodigy looks like you more than the 17 year old photo. That's hilarious!

    Post a pic of the current style!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll save the new picture for my actual birthday...just to heighten the anticipation...

    Rock on.

    ReplyDelete