Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

Blastoff.

Glass Sculpture

Well.

Here we are.  It happened.  I'm 40.  There were no fireworks at midnight, no champagne while standing on the deck of my fabulous yacht, no confetti.

Not that I REALLY expected that, of course.

One of the things that comes with a 40th birthday is the recognition that the day usually proceeds the way most days do - quickly and without too much drama.  We'll still have lessons here at Ottwork Academy (Yes, we do call it that.  And we have a logo.  The t-shirts are on the way.)  I'll still scoop cat poop out of the litter box and clean up spilled chocolate milk and macaroni and cheese.  But I'll do so with the full wisdom of the ages.

Oh, shut up.  I know it's not all that old, but I do get a little star in the wisdom pin, don't I?  I've lived FOUR decades.  I realize that doesn't make me a doddering old woman, and I'm glad that it doesn't, but I can still impart some wizened truths.  

If only anyone would ask me.  

Instead they say things like, "40?  Shoot - I've got underwear older than you.  You're not old until you're 60."  Sigh.  Does that ever change?  I mean, when I'm 80 and sitting in the nursing home I can just see that there will be some 98 year old know-it-all who will insist I'm too young to know what old is.

Neverthless, I think I should share some of the tidbits of knowledge I have gleaned in my 40 years.  Here we go:
  1. Always know how to operate the brakes on the bike you are riding.  You never know when there might be a parked bus down the hill.
  2. Never date a boy named "Bucky."
Well - that's it, really.  You can pretty much live your life by those two principles.

And maybe these:
Smile.  Laugh.  Love.  Create.  Sing.  Dance.  Whisper. 
 Shout.  Read.  Play.  Learn.  Embrace.  Smooch.

Smooches with the Junebug

Thanks for sharing it with me.  I promise to not endlessly obsess over 41.

Peace.

9 comments:

  1. Wow...you're practically 50. Hee, hee.

    Love you,
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last, Happy Birthday Diahn! Hope you have a super day - shame about the yacht though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful way to leap into the 40's!!

    Enjoy enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well. Here we are. Forty.
    Okay, people... I slaved over this very serious poem for Diahn's birthday, and she says I should let you all read it, too. So, here goes...

    (note -- this should be read aloud, slowly, and with a solemn and stately tone using appropriate pauses and artistically timed run-on phrases.)

    (ahem)
    (rustle of papers)

    (ahem)

    Happy Birthday
    to you.
    Happy
    Birtday
    to you.
    HAPPY birthday dear
    Diahn;
    Happy Birthday
    to you. You
    live
    in a zoo.
    That rhymes with...
    kudzu.
    I know
    what you're
    thinking.
    You thought kan-ga-roo happy
    birthday
    to you.
    Happy
    Birthday
    to you.
    HAPPY birthday
    Dear
    Diahn;
    happy birthday
    to
    you.

    The End.

    Really -- I'm simply exhausted from the effort that it took to write that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Did you notice the sly completely intentional spelling of the word "birtday"??
    It is metaphoric.
    You're old and wise -- figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! You're all fantastic and I'm better for knowing you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy B-day Diahn. I wish you lots more of exciting moments and endless creative energy to come.

    ReplyDelete