Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sleeping Giants


Reclining SmartyPants, originally uploaded by diahn.

Dr. SmartyPants isn't exactly a giant, but I had to give it a title, didn't I?

Two. More. Days.

More fun facts...On August 29 in...

1521 - The Ottoman Turks capture Nándorfehérvár, now known as Belgrade.

1526 - Battle of Mohács: The Ottoman Turks led by Suleiman the Magnificent defeat and kill the last Jagiellonian king of Hungary and Bohemia.

1541 - The Ottoman Turks capture Buda, the capital of the Hungarian Kingdom.

I have an ottoman. I'm thinking of changing my name to Diahn the Magnificent.

Anyway - what was up with those Ottoman Turks and August 29? Must have been a good luck day or something.

Oops - maybe not...

In 1904 - Murad V, Ottoman Sultan (b. 1840) died.

Whoa. Check this out. Ingrid Bergman? The actress? That was born on August 29, 1915?

She died on August 29, 1982.

Not cool.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if Ingrid Bergman was in any way an Ottoman Turk?
    Diahn the Magnificent.
    Waaaay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this drawing! You have such a sensitive touch with a pencil.
    I won't say bon anniversaire yet - I'll be sure and tune in tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny - I can't even remember my 40th now, it must have came and went! Lovely sketch! Oh, and to qute the Mad Hatter, a Very Happy un-Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool sketch Diahn. Yes, the angle makes him look like a sleepy Giant.

    ReplyDelete