Pages

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Angels and Heaven


Angels and Heaven, originally uploaded by diahn.


Yesterday, I drew the angel from my nativity set. It's interesting to me that the angels in nativity sets are always female, even though Biblically speaking, they aren't. In the Bible, they are either referred to as masculine, or the gender is neglected altogether (i.e. "Heavenly Host" of angels). But - you never see a nativity set with a big warrior-like male angel, sword at his side. I wonder what it is that makes us feminize them? hmmmm...

pencil

And today I drew a little bit of heaven. Or, rather, I drew what was left after I finished eating a little bit of heaven. I'm pretty sure that Hershey's Kisses were dropped straight from the pearly gates. yummmm.

pencil and inktense pencils

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm.... That's a very good question. Why DO we make them so bee-yooo-tiful when they are described as rather, well, imposing figures. And don't even get me started on seraphim...

    Fortunately they don't guard the bit of heaven that includes Kisses. Have you tried the mint ones? Oh my.

    The drawings are marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the movie "Michael" with John Travolta as..well...umm... arch angel, Michael. That's one sexy, masculine, angel. I think I smell cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Wings of Desire" - Wim Wenders definitely went against type depicting an angel in that movie. Thank goodness....lol!

    Love your sketch of the kisses - would Hershey's kisses be considered a good breakfast? Think I'll go find out....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your sketches here! Well, I don't really mind, as long as mine doesn't "fly" away too far from my shoulder...
    ronell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever gender it is (and leave it to you to ask), it is beautiful. I bet by now the kisses are history :)

    ReplyDelete