Pages

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Petal to the Metal

Tulip in Red

I broke out the gouache yesterday. It's been awhile, and I forgot how velvety it is on hot press paper. So, um, tulip-y...

***

Funny story...the boys and I went to the store today, and on the way back, they were in the back talking and cutting up and Doodlebug said something, I can't even remember what, exactly, but it had the phrase "thin, but..." in it. Junebug started laughing, "Thin Butt! Ha! Thin Butt!"  

Because nothing is funnier than butts when you are a 7 year old boy.

Doodlebug didn't get it, because he was just thinking "but" not "butt." Subtle, I know, but he's a little more literal, you see.

So. I'm trying to help him get the joke. "He's saying, 'Thin BUTT,' honey. You know...'Thin BUTT. As in, "Wow, Mama has a thin butt."

Junebug pipes up, "You don't have a thin butt, Mama!"

.....(chirp. chirp.)

Me: "Excuse me?"

.....(chirp.)

Him: "Uhm. You have a PERFECT bottom!"

.....

Suck up.

I love that.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    I was just reading about gouache yesterday. I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serendipity. I have a blue vase full of tulips on my dining room table, right behind my laptop. They are the exact same color. It's like 3-D man, dude! DANG.

    (snicker, perfect bottom...sounds like a name of a beautiful lady from a James Bond novel...Ms. Perfect Bottom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you made me laugh butt then i was already smiling at your delightful tulip piece. lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that's the perfect answer! ;) I love the tulip but also that amazing background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great gouache all mighty but that's nice. {sorry about the pun - had to return one for your fun title}. Out tulips are looking a little worse for wear - chilly nights and so much rain this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely GORGEOUS!
    yeah... you're in for trouble in the future with that boy, you know..
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!

    Owen - you're funny. I love puns.

    Linda - don't I know it, girl. He's about 3 steps ahead of me all the time.

    ReplyDelete