Pages

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Floral Mystery

Mt Vernon Flower
cheap-o pens from Borders in my large Moleskine sketchbook

I'm not a gardener. I don't know a lot of flowers - just the ones that I know. You know? These - I don't know. The stalk was taller than I am and really thick. The flowers pointed straight down at the ground. There were a few scattered around the upper garden at Mount Vernon, and they were so unexpected - so tropical among the more proper tulips and boxwoods.

Any of you know what it is?

edit: it seems to be a Fritillaria Crown Imperial. Thanks to lvetopaint over at Flickr!
***

We're still enduring the deluge. I'm thinking of scaring up some gopher wood and starting a new building project.


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely drawing! It looks like some sort of Hellabore, a spring plant that likes dappled shade. Sound right? Try Googling for an image and see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diahn, these last 4 are absolutely georgous!!! Love the tulip and wait a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it was a fritillaria, because I planted one once. Pretty, but stinky, as I recall...
    Your drawing is EXCELLENT!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, my friends!

    ReplyDelete