Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2009

On Not Driving

Aaaah.  I'm sitting.  But not driving.

That's a very good thing.

Although...I wouldn't have done it any other way.  I actually still have 500 miles left in my trip, but I'll let Dr. SmartyPants handle that bit.

I had a REALLY great time in Shreveport.  It was too fast - but then again, it always is.  There are never enough hours in the day to squeeze in all the things that we can talk about. 

We took in a Shreveport-Bossier Captains baseball game - super duper minor league baseball.  It was like the movie, Bull Durham, minor league.  Just great stuff.  The man selling beer had the funniest yodeling beer call I've ever heard.  And one guy in the stands, young...well on his way to drunk...was the loudest and most hilarious heckler of the opposing team I've ever heard.

Ever.

Captains-Game

He was completely opposed to the third baseman of the Grand Prairie Airhogs.  Our favorite insult that he hurled was, "14!  Hey, 14!  Sweet mullet!"  That was among the least offensive things he said.  When he started dropping the F-bomb, a lady near him got up and yelled at him for a few minutes before she found the manager of the ball park, and the police were dispatched. 

Sweet-Mullet

After that, things were relatively boring, so we left.

The next night, we headed out to Mudbug Madness, a street festival in downtown Shreveport.

We ate and ate.  Then we had some food.

Music, food, friends, beer, dancing.  It just doesn't get much better than that.

My pictures are a little crazy, because the light was ridiculously bad, but they still give such good flavah...

Bucket O' Mudbugs

A big ole bucket o' mudbugs.

Mo and Robert

Melinda and her sweet husband, Robert.

But, I like to call him "Skipper."

Gator on a Stick

Everything tastes better on a stick!

Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band

Zydeco, baby. Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band. Melinda's friend Crystal got to meet the guitar player there on the right - excuse me...I mean Randy Ellis, the ridiculously good guitar player on the right. Melinda and I played wingmen. We have no idea how to do that.

Chubby Carrier

Chubby. I got to talk to Chubby after the show. Super nice guy. Had his whole family with him, including his super-cute daughter, who sang with him on one song.

Earl Sally

Earl Sally on the washboard. I've never seen anyone with that much energy. He was all over the stage, and off of it too - at one point he led a long conga line all over the pavilion. Really nice guy, too.

The one picture I didn't get was one of me and Melinda together.  I guess we'll just have to save that for next time!

Tomorrow, we'll head out to camp for the week - a little relaxation after a whirlwind journey, and just the breath of fresh air I need...

3 comments:

  1. Sweet mullets, what a great time we had! Maybe we had such a hard time being wingmen because we never did that with each other back in the day, didn't we just ditch each other when the prospects looked promising?

    Love the pictures...and I'm so glad you got the heckler and 14. Poor guy. And the beer yodler who converted nursery rhymes into sad, beer stories.

    Thank you for driving so far to spend a few days with me...miss you already and look forward to our next adventure.

    Have a great week in the woods...bet you won't miss the mosquitos.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! Great photos! Don't you just love a heckler with a sense of humor?
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are having a fantastic road trip. Love the picture of food stands. Enjoy the camping interlude!

    ReplyDelete