Pages

Friday, May 15, 2009

On Chilling the Heck Out

Pear

Most, if not all, of my drama is self-created.  I hope you all understand that.  I don't.  But I usually catch myself before I lose it entirely.

So.  I am chillin'.  I sat on the couch last night and drew this pear that exists only in my memory.  I started with colored pencils, which were too hard for the paper, then broke out the gouache and just played a bit.  I love how gouache looks on this paper, although the paper really needs to be stretched to keep it from buckling.  Maybe, someday, I'll do that - stretch it and paint and watch the magic.

I'm also counting my blessings, out loud and in print:

  • Dr. SmartyPants is AWESOME.  Seriously.  He came home last night after two nights away, ate supper and then did the dishes.  Plus?  He looks really hot in blue jeans.
  • My children are healthy, creative, funny and amazingly helpful.  They vacuumed their own room yesterday.  Without complaint.  Because vacuum cleaners are cool.  And as far as I can tell, they did a pretty good job.
  • My in-laws are keeping my kids AND THE DOGS for a few days so I can have a break.  They are wonderful people and we miss them and I, personally, can't wait to see them.
  • My next door neighbor has been mowing our front yard in between our visits back to Tennessee.  Just because he wants to help and he's a super nice guy.
  • There are only 5 days left before I get to see Melinda!  And her sweet family!  And eat crawfish!

And oh, so many more...

If only I could remember these and all the rest BEFORE my brain explodes from the minutiae of irritation daily living brings.  Then?

Well.  That'd be about perfect, now, wouldn't it?


***edited:  PLUS - look what my sweet baby J drew for me today.  JUST FOR ME.

5 comments:

  1. Way to go, Dino! You turned your frown upside down. Sometimes it truly does take focus to pull yourself out of a slump. And SOMETIMES, it works! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That, and a complete lack of slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, quite the opposite, slugs tend to make one lose one's focus. All you can focus on is the slug. Don't you just love words that describe their objects perfectly? What else could you possibly call a slug? A slow? Just doesn't work. Where's the salt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nevermind, you said a "complete lack of slugs" helps you focus. Which would completely negate my previous comment. Told you I was tired. FOUR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we all have those days or times when we let every little thing be on our last nerve. i get that way when i've not had enough alone time. i just have to say i'm going to the art room, closing the door and won't be seen for hours! and it so helps!

    i've never used gouache but i like the effect on your pear! love the playfulness of it!

    ReplyDelete