Pages

Monday, May 04, 2009

Eagle Eye

Bald Eagle

Technically, I started this one before Every Day in May began, but I worked on it in May, so it counts.  I drew it from a photo I took at the National Zoo a couple of weeks ago.  It always amazes me to see a Bald Eagle up close.  They are so big and muscular and fierce.  That beak is a force to be reckoned with, isn't it?

***

We were supposed to go see a German car show yesterday, but it got rained out.  It's been raining pretty solidly since sometime Saturday evening or Sunday morning, which makes all of us want to stay in our pajamas and curl up on the couch with a good book or five.  We had to get up and go to the eye doctor to get Junebug's glasses checked out, but I think we'll be changing back into the jammies here in a few minutes...or when we finish our lessons for the day.  Poor Dr. SmartyPants.  He has to stay dressed all day.

***

We went to a local pancake house for breakfast yesterday morning.  The food was good, but I was more interested in the party seated at the table next to us.  It appeared to be a mother and daughter, neither one of whom weighed more than 100 pounds.  TINY women.  I felt like an Amazon.  HUGE.  They sat facing each other across a very small table, not speaking.  Each stared at a spot slightly to the left of the other's head, looking incredibly bored and slightly irritated.  When their food was delivered, I saw that they had ordered the same thing - a GIGANTIC thing that looked like the world's largest cinnamon roll, covered in powdered sugar.  Each.  One could easily have fed a family of six.

No kidding, it was as big as the plate.  I wanted so badly to lean over and say, "Really?  Are you kidding me?  You're going to eat that?  It's as big as  bigger than your head!"  But I didn't.  Because I'm all polite and well-mannered and too busy trying to eavesdrop on their almost non-existent conversation.  Instead, I just kicked Dr. SmartyPants under the table and rolled my eyes in their direction and made faces to try and convey my shock and awe.

Yes, I am just that engaged with my family.  Thank you.  I deserve an award.

People - let me tell you - little tiny women can pack away a lot of cinnamon rolls.  They did take away a little of the monstrosities in their to-go boxes, but not a lot.  What I really wanted to do was follow them out to their car and ask them how in the world they could eat like that and stay so tiny.

But I was too busy chewing on my rasher of bacon.  Amazonian women need their strength, you know.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful bald eagle -- and those feathers are FANTASTIC.

    And just stay in your jammies. Pooh on you.
    ;-P

    ReplyDelete