Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Outside My Window

Pink Dogwood

A beautiful pink dogwood sits right outside my window.  It's the tree that cast those lovely shadows on my walls on Easter Sunday, its buds just beginning to open and reveal themselves.  This dogwood is in full glory at the moment, petals straining open as wide as possible, enticing pollinators around the world to come and feast.  I could sit and watch the festivities all day.

***

The boys and I have a new project in the works.  We're going to be making rag dolls for an orphanage in Nicaragua, as part of a Craft Hope project.  The dolls will be traveling down to Nicaragua with Eren, from the blog This Vintage Chica, as she joins with the ORPHANnetwork.  Now, crafting isn't usually our thing, although I can sew up a mean superhero cape or one of a set of curtains before I get bored and move on to something else, but - this seemed like the kind of thing we could get behind.

My boys are manly boys.  They love cars and motorbikes and superheros and Star Wars and they wrestle on the floor until someone pulls them apart all sweaty and irritated.  I tease them about their little dolls they play with and they loudly correct me, "THEY'RE ACTION FIGURES, MAMA." 

They also love stuffed animals.  "Stuffies," they call them.  You would not even believe how much money we've spent at Build-a-Bear.  Junebug is the most avid devotee, but big brother plays right along side him.

So.

We aren't crafting dolls.

We're making ACTION STUFFY FIGURES.

We'll take photos along the way to show you what we're up to, and of course photos when they are finished.  I have a feeling there will be more dolls ACTION STUFFY FIGURES made than just the ones going to Nicaragua...

***

And lastly - thanks to everyone willing to join in with the D.I.A.H.N. Group.  We'll have to figure out a way to get together and just be freakin' nice to each other over a long weekend.  ;-)

And speaking of nice - I ran across this yesterday.  Nice!

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to show the dogwood. I know how beautiful they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:06 PM

    And I promise to find the perfect little boys for your "action stuffy figures" and get photos for your little men. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eren - that would be amazing...thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the step-by-step photos of the project -- sounds like a great one!
    I'm working on dogwoods, too -- but not near as good as yours -- you ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep...those dolls sound very manly :)

    Lovely drawing...it seems we were inspired in the same way today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for joining Craft Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jade, for organizing it! We're looking forward to it very much!

    ReplyDelete