Pages

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Acting Squirrely

Squirrel

One of the things that I'm so enjoying in our urban house is looking out the windows at all the wildlife.  It is one of life's great ironies that in the city, I look out and see birds and squirrels and chipmunks and all manner of wildlife, while in the suburbs, I have to drive to the mountains (or to Linda's house) to catch sight of non-domesticated critters.

It's a new vs. old thing rather than concrete vs. grass.  In this neighborhood of 70 year old homes, the trees stand tall and majestic, matured and proven.  Birds and squirrels like tall majestic trees.  In my Tennessee neighborhood of 4 year old homes, the trees are tiny and bendy and puny. 

No trees, no squirrels.

I know people that hate squirrels, because the squirrels like to come empty the bird feeders that are for the BIRDS.  I lived in a townhouse once where we had a feeder on the back patio.  The squirrels would come and hang upside down from the patio cover to eat the bird seed.  I thought it was hilarious.  But I love squirrels.  I think they have great attitude.  They're cheeky, and not just when they're storing nuts.  I like watching them leap across the fences and chatter at each other. 

I imagine they curse fluently.

***

Things are coming together for me to take a trip that I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED ABOUT.

I could just leave you hanging like that, I suppose.  Like a squirrel at a a bird feeder. 

Upside down with all the blood rushing to your head.

And then I'd take a picture of you.

But I'm nicer than that.  I'll tell you this much.  It involves her and this  and probably this and maybe a couple of these and none of these.  (Although I love the last bit and think they are amazing, but sometimes a girl has just got to get away - stopitIfeelguiltyenoughalready.)

Well, look at that. 

I guess I told you everything you need to know.

11 comments:

  1. Fabulous squirrel!! Your trip sounds super! No guilt allowed!! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris! I can't wait. I'm going to be bundling all the guilt up in a brown paper package and leave it tucked under my bed until I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy! A trip!

    I don't love flesh and blood squirrels, but I adore your drawing, especially that tail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crawfish are waiting...and we have lots of squirrels here, too...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. see, now here's another weird animal co-ink-i-dink. I also love squirrels, but my wuss of a dog? Not so much. They throw acorns, twigs, whatever they can get their little paws on at the poor dog. He accepts that it's really their yard and hides on the back step under the awning. Poor, pathetic puppy. BTW, he's a good 60 lbs and supposedly an english coonhound — in other words a hunting dog. Sheesh! Did I mention he's a wuss?


    Have fun and if that brown guilt package works, let me know so I can try it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Sherry - The tail was my favorite part to do!

    Mo! I'm so excited and did I tell you I was excited? Well, I am.

    Hi Karen - that's hilarious. My pups think they are squirrel dogs - Oscar is about 45 pounds and lunges at them when we go on walks, dragging me halfway across the park before I get him slowed down. Chico, the 10 pound chihuahua, ignores them until they get up on our fence - then he barks like crazy.

    I'll keep you posted on the guilt package...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also an urban dweller and this time of the year, the squirrels and the rabbits are not my friends. Either one or the other is always decimating my garden. I'm one of the few in the neighborhood who grow pretty, sweet things in my yard, so all the hungry wildlife come to me for smorgasbord.

    I love your drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love that squirrel. And squirrels in general too. Even when they steal from the birdies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The brown guilt package is creeping me out. It sounds like voodoo...voodoo creeps me out. Even though "Angelheart" is one of my favorite movies...it's a creeper.

    P.S."godsh" is my word verification..how weird! . Voodoo, godsh...I'm going to sprinkle some red dirt at my door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you span the page spread with your pen. Marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to enjoy watching squirrels scamper all over my deck and backyard...until that damn squirrel moved into my garage ceiling and won't leave....and also when they started digging up all my flower boxes every summer. Now not feeling so much love here!

    Happy birthday crayfish festival Louisiana friend visiting libation imbibing time away from home.

    ReplyDelete