Pages

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Hawkeye

Red Tailed Hawk 

I would like to find out who is in charge of this stinking weather and sic my little friend upon his eyeballs.  I'm beginning to think that we'll be wearing coats and scarves until July.

***

My parents and my niece are coming up to DC to visit with us late in the week.  My parents have never seen DC, although my niece was here last summer with her other grandparents.  I'm so looking forward to seeing everything with my folks.  It's always interesting to see how different generations see things, don't you think?  I can't imagine what it must be like to visit the Vietnam Memorial as a veteran of that war, and find your friends names on the wall.  What will they see when we go to the WWII Memorial, as children of that war that shaped the lives of their parents?

I know that, for me, the older I get, the more significant history becomes.  When I was a child, I thought history was dry and boring most of the time, but it occasionally had some interesting elements.  Now, I'm fascinated by the trials and tribulations, the inventions and innovations that have shaped not only our country, but the world.

I spend a lot of my time here wishing I had paid more attention in school.  I wish I had seen the significance of the past back when I had the time and texts to learn more about it.  Now, I glean what I can from the monuments and museums, and spend way too much time on Wikipedia, after one of the bugs has asked me a question that I am clueless about. 

How did we ever get along before Wikipedia?  My poor mother.  She had to drive us to the library and have us look up the answer in an encyclopedia.

For three hours at a time.

Hey.  Wait a minute.

Where the heck was she during that time?

Aaahhh...Dang.  NOW I get it.

We're off to the library just now.  Have a fantastic day.

3 comments:

  1. What an beautiful line drawing. The patterns of his feathers are just great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THERE'S that gorgeous bird!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Janey - coming from you - the master guru of line drawings, I'm very honored!

    Hi Linda! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete