Pages

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Merry Fishmas

Merry Fishmas

Why a tropical fish on my Christmas tree?

Why not?

People. I'll tell you what. This parenting thing ain't easy. Nothing about it is easy. It is full of worry and self-doubt, of frustration and the occasional outburst. Our children fail and fall and flop. So do we.

How is it that the same child who, when asked to use the word "pretty" in a sentence, says, "Mommy is very pretty," can turn around and look at that same mom with hate in his eyes when she won't let him go to Starwars.com right now.

And yet.

We continue to parent. They continue to grow. We hope and we pray and we nurture and we love. And sometimes it works. And that deepens our resolve to try even harder. To push through the resentful eyeballing. To pull them into our laps and hug them one time more than they really wanted.

What does this all have to do with fish? Well - nothing, really. Except that fish stink and sometimes kids do too, and that a little Christmas goes a long way in making them both a little more attractive.

So. Plug your nose and hug your stinkers today. Maybe if you say, "ass, please," they'll even hug you back.

4 comments:

  1. Too cute! I have nothing but the highest admiration for you, parents of children. I chickened out, for all the reasons you mentioned. I remembered how I regarded my parents and I didn't want to be responsible for messing up my kid's life. I probably missed more than I would have messed up, but too late now. I'm sure you're doing a fine job. Your boys are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got "ass, please" because I read back through all the posts I've missed. You tell that Junebug that he gave me a good dose of laughter! It must be my inner adolescent coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fish...I want one for my tree. We decided to put up a themed tree this year with only shades of red and gold. I told Morgan(my eight year old daughter) she could pick out any ornament from the store to put on our tree this year. She picked out the ugliest pink and blue ornament you have ever seen. It's going to stand out like a sore thumb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really have THE most clever way of expressing yourself here. You can make me laugh and cry all in the same post!
    Merry Christmas and have fun with your DC adventure!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete