Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Comfortable.

I hope you all enjoyed yesterday's guest post from Snivel E. McWhinybritches.

Lord.

Anyhow. Today has been rainy and rainier, with temperatures dropping and expected ice tonight. Dr. SmartyPants is on travel, and so the bugs and I slept in an extra hour or so. Junebug came and crawled into bed with me around 6:30 this morning, gave me a big hug and we cuddled, listening to the rain for a few minutes. He sighed, snuggled in a bit closer and said, "Do we have to go anywhere today?" I told him no, and he smiled. "I think today would be a good day to stay in our pajamas, don't you think so?"

I did.

It was also a good day for baking my favorite kind of cookies. I got this book, The Cookie Book, by Eva Moore, a hundred years ago when I was in elementary school - through the bookmobile or weekly reader or something. It has a copyright date of 1973, but I am sure I picked it up around '76 or so. The pages are browning - almost the same color as the cookies I baked. I can remember baking almost all of the different kinds of cookies in the book at one time or another, but Peanut Butter have always been my favorite. The book falls open to this page without effort.

005

My mixer is a lot fancier than the hand mixer my mom let me use, but the cookies still taste the same. Perfectly peanut-buttery goodness.

Ahhh...

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I envy you your day of pajamas and hugs and peanut butter cookies. It was a truly nasty day to be out and about. And believe me, I WAS OUT AND ABOUT. Doing important stuff. Um, NOT. At least, not anymore important than your day, and probably lots less important. (Referring to yesterday's post.)

    See... you're changing the world one peanut butter cookie at a time... :-)

    Oooh. And my mixed up letter for the word verification is "frofl" -- sounds like it ought to be a word, doesn't it!?

    Frofl. Define that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, envy your day in PJ's. I did that last Sunday. I know the restless feeling you mentioned yesterday. I feel it often at this time of year. Another year gone by and what have I done? Worked. Same as last year. I don't know what "it" is either, but I know I should be doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I could smell my favorite cookies baking. When is the cookie party? Did I mention PB cookies are my favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cookies were delicious - I ate far too many and gave myself a tummy-ache :-D

    Linda - Frofl is the technical name for the batter that clings to the inside of the mixing bowl after you've dumped out the contents. For example: "Mom, can we lick the peanut butter cookie frofl?" "No son, I've already eaten all the frofl. Too bad for you. Mwahahahaha..."

    Teri - I'm not the least bit surprised that your favorite is peanut butter - we really were separated at birth, weren't we?

    ReplyDelete