Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Joy. Wrapped in Sorrow.

Santa's Goodies

Christmas was a success.  Much Star Wars was had by all.  We had a lovely restful day of Lego-building and Guitar-Hero-ing and Wii-ing.  I hope that yours was wonderful, as well.

Last year, on the day after Christmas, we brought home a wiggly, feisty little cat that Junebug named "Ben."  He quickly grew into to a wiggly, feisty ginormous cat that kept us on our toes. 

He's been my faithful lap-warmer and constant muse - always good for a pose or two.

This morning, Dr. SmartyPants woke me and asked me to come upstairs.  Ben was laying on the floor, as he often did, sprawled out on his side in complete relaxation.  Except he wasn't asleep.  There was no warning.   He was fat and healthy and feisty last night.  He came to cuddle up with me around 4:00 this morning, as insistent as ever that I move my arm so he could curl up under my chin.

The internet says cardiomyopathy or heartworms are the leading causes of sudden, unexplained death in cats.  We'll take him to the vet tomorrow to see what we can find out.

Ben

Goodbye, Sweet Ben.  I hope there are lots of Rokenbok balls to chase, wherever you are.

14 comments:

  1. Punkin, I feel for all of you. Your Mom had the same awful Christmas when Shaman died on that Christmas day long ago. This has not been a very joyful time for any of us. I still can't walk to the end of the porch and look at my shop. I love you all, and shed a tear for Ben.
    Pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that your beloved kitty died so suddenly. There is some solace to know that he didn't suffer...and you have a great last memory of him. It makes me want to go snuggle with my kitty who's cozied away in the back of a closet for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Being a cat lover with a kitty who could be your kitty's sister, I'm sending virtual hugs. How very sad to lose a beloved pet so suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so sorry about your Ben. He looks exactly like our very missed "Phoebe". We lost two cats this year so I relate to how much you will miss Ben. Such a pretty kitty. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry, Dino. I know this must be hard for the boys. It's a sad thing to go through, especially at their age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang. Sweet, sweet Ben. What a great, fun and totally COOL cat he was. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, how very sad! i know he will be missed very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I am so sorry for you. Several years ago, on a Sunday, thank God I was home, my cat fell onto his side and couldn't get up. I rushed him to the vet who determined that he had thrown a blood clot into his hind leg. They put him on blood thinners, but after 12 hours, (he was sedated) the #* thing still had not passed and we had to let him go. I believe this must be one of the hardest things we humans have to accept. In the animal world it's just life and death. My thoughts and sorrow are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:50 PM

    I know where Ben is, he's with Leo and Zoe and all those other best friends we loved and lost.

    And really, no warning is far better then knowing weeks or months before. A quick goodbye is so much kinder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending lots of hugs to help the healing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about your kitty, he was just beautiful! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear about Ben. I looked at the photo and had a double take, he looks just like my Mum's cat. They may be little but losing pets leaves such a big hole in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Diahn! I would call you but I'd cry! I'm sooooo sorry for you all. He was truly beautiful in all ways, loving and aggravating!! Remember both and it'll be sweeter!
    I love you, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so hard to lose a pet... especially when it is such a sudden lose. However, last memories are lasting... always keep with you that last one of him alive and snuggling

    ReplyDelete