Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Boxed.

The Christmas packages have all been opened, packaging discarded. 

Different kinds of boxes have taken their places.

Joshua's Camera 123

In two days we begin our next adventure.  In two days we leave.  In two days.

I'm excited and nervous - wondering.  Doodlebug is struggling with it.  "Why do we have to go?  I don't like change.  I like my house.  I like my room.  I want to stay."  Junebug says he's kind of happy, kind of sad.  The adventurer in me is eager to go.  The mother in me is having a hard time watching her eldest son suffer.  Even though I know it is the right thing.

The best thing.

I met with Linda yesterday evening - for far too short a time.  For the last couple of years, we've met on New Year's Day to set goals and encourage each other.  This year, we had to revise the meeting date a little, but we still accomplished a lot.  We set new goals, reviewed the last year and vowed to do better.  Both of us had years that started out very differently than they ended up, and our goals didn't keep up with the changes.  We'll strive to be more flexible and attentive in the new year.

I'll write more about that later.  Right now, I'm checking off lists and strapping tape around cardboard and worrying that I'm forgetting essentials.  I'm trying to let go of the perfectionistic tendencies that sometimes paralyze my ability to sort out the mess and pare down the boxes. 

I'm missing Ben, and so thankful to all of you who left such sweet and sympathetic comments on my last post.  It just reminds me of how wonderful a place this internet can be.  Thank you all so much. 

I talked with his sweet veterinarian yesterday, and she believes he suffered some sort of acute event, such as a stroke or sudden heart failure.  I think he was just a gift that was here for a short time to remind us not to take ourselves so seriously.  He also reminded me that an afternoon spent napping in the sunbeams of the back door is an afternoon well spent. 

Especially in the short days of winter.

7 comments:

  1. All the uncertainty that you feel will drop away little by little with each mile you travel, for Doodlebug and Junebug, too. Let the adventure begin! And how cool, that they get to come home once a month, to the same home, everything still in the same place just like they left it. Remember the poetry of Hannah Montanna, boys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, our visit was much too short! I kept thinking today about things I meant for us to talk about. Pooh.

    When Shannon was little we moved quite often, and I always worried a bit about how she would deal with the change. She always did fine, and the boys will, too.
    :-)

    I'm glad you're coming home so often. We still have to get that rock band going.
    Sulasol.
    Awesome.

    And, I swear, my word verification is "noisbear" -- that could be the name of they band that the boys start...
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best of everything with your new move. I know you will adjust fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diahn, I wish you much luck and laughter on your new adventure. Keep us posted!
    You are right about our pets being here for just a short time; just long enough to give us a smile and someone to hug. We've lost four dogs and two cats in the last 12 years. Hurts a bunch. But they do know how to live life best, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "i love the sound of napping in the sunbeams". i hope to get a bit of that in this long weekend. good luck with the move and holding it all together for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:49 AM

    Be safe, my friend. I hope this year brings you everything you anticipate. And I hope to see you in the spring -- maybe just for a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So the great moving adventure begins with the new year. Best Wishes on the Happiest of New Years!

    ReplyDelete