Pages

Monday, December 15, 2008

Landing.

In light of the last two posts, I give you...

Buzz in Blue

Doodlebug and I were drawing together this afternoon, while Junebug caught up on his long winters' nap.  D had been rifling through his bookcase, when he came across some NASA postcards we'd ordered back in Kindergarten for a project.  He brought them to me and we picked one each to draw.  I picked Buzz Aldrin, as photographed by Neil Armstrong.

It's such a cool photo, with all the reflections in the face shield, including Armstrong, the American flag and the lunar module.  What I really love is how the horizon of the lunar surface lines up with the horizon line in the face shield.

I did this as a contour drawing for the most part.  Not a BLIND contour, but I tried to not lift my pen as I traced around the image.  I love the quality of the line when I do this, and it always makes me wonder why I don't do it more often.  It is so freeing to use cheap-o pens on cheap-o paper - to draw with and as a child - simply and with reckless abandon.

Lesson learned.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, this is way cool! I bet the "bugs" like it, too. I'm glad you shared it!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how fun it is to let my inner six-year-old go and play. This is great Diahn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is great! Do we get to see D's, too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you two had a nice afternoon and you made a very fine drawing. Yeah, do we get to see D's?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, the quality of line has a fantastic effect. I like this. I'm into ink drawings, myself.. keep up the creativity :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's outta this world! Really nice. I bet your boys love it when you draw with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:23 PM

    this is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete