Pages

Saturday, July 18, 2009

OBX Dreamin'

Where I Want to Be

I'm longing to be back here, sitting on the sand,

listening to the waves as they crest on the sandbar,

watching the pelicans dive,

and the dolphins slap the water with their tails.

I'm longing to feel the sun on my skin, gazing at the horizon,

hearing the delight in my sons' voices as they ride another wave,

seeing the gulls slowly inching toward my potato chip bag,

and the dogs dashing away from the encroaching water.

I'm longing to go and never leave, becoming a local,

riding my bike barefooted to the market to fill up the basket on the front,

walking into Sonny's and being greeted by name,

and knowing the names of those greeting me.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely...really. If there is a downside to going to the beach, this would be it...leaving the beach. It always leaves an intense longing for a life it seems we were meant for. Sigh.

    I particularly love the image of you on a bike barefoot with your basket overflowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I go to the beach, I do the same thing....daydream about being a local. It is a heavenly dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too, mi hermana... me, too.

    ReplyDelete