Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mr. Bluebird's on My Shoulder

Bluebird

I'm the kind of girl that gets really excited when I see a bluebird. Is that normal? Ever since I was a kid, I'd spy one sitting on the fence in the backyard and just get overwhelmed with the thrill of watching those cerulean-wrapped fluff-balls preen.

I guess I was an overly excited kid, because bluebirds are quite common where I live and have lived most of my life.

There's something about them, though. They are common, but they stand out in a crowd of sparrows, now don't they? They don't have to work overly hard or bully less fortunate birds for us to notice them. They just fly around, being themselves - being BLUE - and we love them for it. We love them so much, we build them houses and help them raise their young. We cry when a corn snake finds its way into their house and eats their eggs. (Actually, if you're my mom, you cry and then kill the heck out of that bad, bad corn snake. Bad snake. What can I say - she's Irish.)

Anyway...

This is another of the bird sketches out of my Paperchase recycled kraft paper sketchbook. I actually removed this one from the sketchbook and experimented a little with mounting it on a piece of all media board, using acrylic gel. It actually worked pretty well - flattened out all the buckling in the paper, and even though I've got another one on more refined paper in the works, I'm considering putting this one in the etsy shop when I open. I love other people's sketchbooks, and think they look really cool framed with the unfinished edges showing, so maybe other people do, too!

I'd love to hear your opinion on that...

12 comments:

  1. I wish I would see bluebirds sometime. They are a lovely color. I'm enjoying your new series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should put these in your etsy shop. Or maybe make prints, cards etc.? Great image and I enjoyed your post about bluebirds too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have ever seen a bluebird amiga. I am lovin' your birds series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of framing it with the spiral-bound edge showing! Gives it a more immediate quality than if you crop that off.

    Bluebird story for ya -- when I was in Wisconsin in June, I was visiting a friend who has a big old woodstove in her studio. We heard some scratching around and figured a mouse had gotten into the stove, but when she opened the ash door, we discovered it was a bird! More specifically, a bluebird - though it resembled a chimney sweep after a hard day's work. After we finally figured out how to rescue it, we released it outside and it flew off, leaving little puffs of soot in its wake!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. steviewren - I can't believe you don't see them often where you are! We always had bluebird houses with plenty of tenants in Tuscaloosa!

    Thanks for the idea, Ann - maybe I'll consider prints if I can find a good place to have them printed...

    Marta - I am so sorry you've never seen one - come visit me and I'll find a bunch for you to see! (They love my backyard in Tennessee!!)

    Chris - that's funny - the same thing happened to my parents in their wood stove! I guess it was so nice and warm at the top, they hung around, and one climbed right in and got caught!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Ann, definately put it in you Etsy ship and do consider prints...it's a winner. Well all your birds are winners actually...love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this piece is just wonderful. i so love what you are doing with this series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Marta - I've never seen one. This is just great, Diahn. I really love what you're doing on kraft paper. You are inspiring me to pull out the gouache...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Diahn! And you've captured a bluebird's spirit, too -- really really wonderful!
    (And if Diahn runs out of room at her house, for those of you who need to come to Tennessee to see bluebirds, I'm right down the road and can put a few of you up! We have them about every few hundred feet in our neighborhood...)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:09 PM

    Diahn, bluebirds and Indigo Buntings are my favorite birds. This painting says what I can't say: how I feel about them, how excited when I see one. They're rare whereever I've lived. Haven't seen one in years. But IF I were to win this painting, I could see one everyday. I'm amazed at how talented and creative you are. You try so many different media and techniques. Many people just stick with one type of media and never venture beyond themselves. You break boundaries in all your work.

    I can't figure out how to register, but I definitely want to.

    Cousin,
    Martha Drummond

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diahn, I know bluebirds are around here, but I just don't think my yard has the kind of stuff they are looking for. I mostly see robins, mockingbirds and cardinals. We used to have a lot of woodpeckers, but as we've cut down the dead trees they've moved on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found you again through Chris Beck. I love your blue birds! Great story, too.

    ReplyDelete