Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Light in THE DARKNESS

A Light in the Darkness

Okay, people.  November is still kicking my butt.  All over the place.  NaNoWriMo has been a NaNoNoGo, my knitting projects have been, well, difficult and really?  All I want to do is find my sweats, blankey, the corner of my couch and a bag of Dove chocolates.  And Bull Durham.  Over and over.

My kitchen is a mess, the dining room table is covered in piles of school materials, I'M COLD, I'm behind on laundry, there are toys everywhere I look, I'M COLD, I can't turn a freaking heel on a sock I'm trying to knit and I'M COLD.

People are mean and cut me off in traffic.  One lady totally broke in front of me in the line at the store with 900 items to my 1 and was completely lacking remorse.  The economy is tanking, etcetera...etcetera...etcetera.

But.

Yesterday afternoon, I was finishing up some school-related stuff at the aforementioned dining room table, when the doorbell rang.  I saw that it was the UPS man, putting a package by the front door.  I finished what I was doing, as I knew the package didn't require a signature, before I went to the door to get the box.  When I opened the door, the UPS man was still there.

Not waiting for a signature.

He was picking up the pots of dead mums that had fallen over during the night and placing them back on the stand.  As I opened the door, he was just reaching for the doormat, which he then proceeded to shake out over the flower beds, to clean off the dirt and blossoms.

I was rendered near speechless (which is not a common thing).  I stammered out something like, "Y-Y-Y-You are the nicest UPS man.  EVER."

He grinned and looked down, a little embarrassed at having been caught doing his random act of kindness.  He kind of half smiled and said that he knew people liked to keep their front porches neat, and he just liked to help out.  Then, he jumped back onto his shining steed into his brown truck and drove away just as the birds began to sing and the clouds parted and long, glorious rays of light touched the ground on which it had so recently been parked.

And that, my friends, is exactly how it happened.

That's when I understood.

The Darkness can be defeated.

It  just takes a few moments - go out tomorrow with your mission as this:  Find one person today and do something completely out of the blue that is nice and helpful and kind and giving.  Smile.  Ask for nothing in return.  Maybe even try not to get caught doing it.  And if you are, make like its no big deal.

Shove a little light into the dark and see what happens.

Peace.

7 comments:

  1. Dian, I love this post! I am a mail carrier and although I occasionally do nice things for my people, I doubt that I would have gone this far. What a nice man. You gave me the pat on the back that is sorely needed at this stressful time of year for us delivery people. Thanks! I will stretch a little further to try to make someone "have a nice day".

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm linking to this. PERFECT for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This kind of post makes me tear up a little, honestly! The random acts of kindness...that most of the time go unnoticed and unrewarded. I must find some way to reward those I see around me doing those random acts. And I need to start doing those random acts myself. The UPS man rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is true...my oldest daughter is upstairs right now cleaning up her little sister's room, who is passed out on the couch recovering from a tonsillectomy. And she's singing while she cleans! Don't let the darkness creep up on you, Dino.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes what a good reminder to us all, i have also had a frantic week, chasing jobs, and it's cold and i haven't had much time for myself. am still writing furiously for nanowrimo, so hope i can achieve this (almost impossible) aim. keep on going, and remember it's often not those we expect to help us but those we never dreamed would! (ooh i just made that up!) hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome story Diahn. See there are good people all around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a delightful story . . . i'm going to order some things to be delivered by ups!! :) i have been in a i-could-live-in-my pjs mood lately as well. i am so not a winter kind of person!!

    ReplyDelete