Pages

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Bridging the Gap

Bridge

I just can't tell you how glad I am this election is over.  It just seemed to get uglier and uglier until I couldn't stand to turn on the news anymore.  It's disheartening to see otherwise upstanding people dig so deeply into their hidden stores of bitterness and fling it out onto the American public.  There was one race in our local politics that was so petty and backbiting, it made me want to go out and find the two candidates and make them stand in a public space and yell nice things at each other, like I sometimes have to do with my boys.

"I like your hair!  You're a really great Lego builder!  You don't stink!"

That'd teach 'em.

Anyhow - in any election, someone wins and someone loses.  That's how it works.  And I love that it does work.  Regardless of whether your candidate won or not, the process of election - of democracy - prevailed once again and a new day has dawned.  A day that many Americans never thought would happen - a day when the phrase "All Men are Created Equal," reaches a potential never before seen in our country. 

And that's a fine bridge to cross.

Maybe your guy didn't win.  Honestly, mine didn't.  Mine never made it out of the primaries.  Maybe the person for whom you voted didn't win, but you know what? 

In 70-something days, you'll have a new president. 

And it's time to stop the poo-flinging and get back to the business of America.

7 comments:

  1. a great photo and post! Is it really that beautiful where you live? I must come sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marta!

    YES it is that beautiful here in east Tennessee - and yes, you must come visit - I'm sure we could wrangle Linda into joining us for a whopping good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here, here! Well said. It was an amazing night...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Marta -- it really and truly IS that beautiful here ... and if you do come visit, you better bet I'd be joining in! ;-D

    Diahn -- well said. I really like the idea of The Public Yelling of Compliments To And Fro. I wonder if I could institute that policy at work? Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I do like your colorful hair and you really don't stink, not that much, anyway. Well, there was that one time in Gulf Shores...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diahn, I love this post. You hit the political button on the head. I was a sore loser for about three days, but it's time to let it go and be gracious.

    I have to say how much I love your photos. I love all of Tennessee, and would love to see more of East Tenn. We mostly go to Gatlinburg, of course. Doesn't everyone? But I keep nagging the hubby to go to Nashville or Memphis. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for bridges of all sorts. An insightful post. Nice pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete