Pages

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Fetch Me a Mimosa, Please.

Mimosa

I had one of these trees outside my bedroom window when I was growing up. It was a perfect match to the color of my walls - mimosa pink. My mom painted the room in a pale pink and then used a feather duster to splash darker pink and white on the walls.

Gosh, I miss the 70s.

Anyway. Every time I see one of these in bloom, I think of that room. It had a Sears and Roebuck canopy bed, and Scott Baio and Erik Estrada pictures on the wall. There was a Barbie Dream House in the corner. I used to hide behind the sliding doors in the closet with a flashlight and make movies.

That's not weird, is it?

6 comments:

  1. -->I hate to tell you that Scott Baio was in love with ME... ah hem.

    ~deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not weird at all. My brother and I used to play Star Trek in our closets.

    Okay. Um. THAT might be weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these trees. They remind me of my Grandmother. She had a couple of them in her backyard where we grew up. They also remind of Dr. Seuss books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally not weird. I used to sit in one and eat apples while I pretended that I was Jo from Little Women.

    my obsession with gold was deeply rooted in my 70's bedroom and my hippo outfit from Sears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not weird at all. When I think of these trees, I think of the huge one in my grandmother's front yard, full of flitting hummingbirds in the summer months. Loved that tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cousins and I used to play elevator in our uncle's closet. The doors opened just right. Sadly, I was never old enough to rate getting to be the elevator attendant. (I'm showing my age here...bet no one else remembers elevator attendants)

    ReplyDelete