Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

Thirsty Fun

Back in 2006, Linda and I went on a sketchcrawl of Knoxville, and we both drew a little run down place called "Toddy's". The sign in front of the building proclaimed it to be "Knoxville's Fun Place to be Thirsty," which struck me as rather odd. I mean - if you're thirsty IN the bar, doesn't that mean that your bartender isn't doing his/her job? Maybe it means that even though the service is really bad, you'll still have a good time?

I don't know. I never actually went inside.

I drove past there about a month ago and saw that it is no longer called Toddy's. Another bar has taken its place, although they hung onto the tagline, strangely enough.

Toddys

So I thought it needed be immortalized as it used to be. The Toddy's that Knoxvillians knew and thirsted over - the best place in town to not get a drink.

It's newly listed in my Etsy shop - feel free to purchase it to hang in a really dry part of your house... SOLD

8 comments:

  1. LOL. Was it dry when you sold it? I've heard of Pub Crawls, but never Sketch Crawls. I'll add that one to my lexicon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great painting and story! No wonder it sold!

    BTW, hope you got my reply about homeschool curriculum? - my email was acting a little weird. Or maybe it was just me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) - barely dry... Sketch Crawls are just like pub crawls, except less boozy. Sometimes. There's a whole movement - http://www.sketchcrawl.com/forum/index.php

    Thanks, Ann! I did get your response - thank you for all your information - I'll email you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an odd tagline. strip club in disguise? o.0

    ReplyDelete
  5. delightful piece. i can see why it sold so quickly. i like the name toddy's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colorful and fun! I passed a bar the other day called the "Mental Ward" with the tagline "We are all here, because we are not all here." I thought that was a hoot, but I had to wonder if anyone would want to be seen going into the place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that sold fast. Looks like your business has really taken off. Big congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you immortalized it before it began to change!

    ReplyDelete