Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

On a Hill

1415 Clinch Avenue

This house sits high on a hill, overlooking the river in Knoxville. The owners rarely come out, but when they do, it's always alarming. The man has wild, white hair and a canny gleam in his eye. His wife is small and sharp, like the edge of a table. The grow a garden of heirloom herbs and are said to cast spells around the town on moonlit nights.

Okay. Not really.

It's really a kind of dilapidated house with a ubiquitous FOR RENT sign hanging on the front porch and a couple of old beer kegs lying forlornly on the front porch - near enough the university to make it a popular place to live while going to vet school.

But that's just not what I see when I look at it. I see the next great NaNoWriMo novel...

November is still a couple of months away.

But it is looming, my people. Looming...

Clinch Avenue Lady is in the shop. Feel free to purchase to fuel your own novel writing adventures!

11 comments:

  1. I always wanted a house like this. Well, not with the white haired old man or the beer kegs. Just a big old Victorian with a turret and a huge porch. Can't imaging renovating one though. Your painting is lovely with the house looking just full of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. I think they're so amazing with their twisty rooms and tangled hallways. But I can't imagine how much it must cost to renovate one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful!! you turned that old dilapidated house into a victorian treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter lived in The Fort for a few years when she was new to Knoxville. The cool Victorians had definitely seen better days, but you've given this one the facelift it deserves!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chris! Yes - there are a ton of cool old houses down in there...I'm going to have to go on a scavenger hunt...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love houses like that, crazy people included :p

    love the blue you have used here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with the colors! I would have never thought to do an orange sky like that! The result is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so col - I'm a little disapointed that your story isn't true, so I'm going to believe it anyway..

    ReplyDelete