Pages

Friday, August 21, 2009

A Taste of Things to Come...

It may still technically be summer, but I can already feel the change in the air, can you? Sure, it's 95 degrees with 843% humidity, but that doesn't mean it isn't coming. It's just around the corner.

Every year I do a great big happy dance when spring rolls around. Really - it's kind of embarrassing when I go back and look. Like here and here and here and here. From all that dancing, you'd think that spring was my absolute favorite season, but while I adore spring and all its showy, flowery goodness, it isn't my favorite season.

Without a doubt, it's the fall that stirs my heart the most. I love the changing light - the way the sun lingers in amber liquid, lighting up the golden leaves. I love the smell - a caramel-y, smoky shimmer in the air. I love the way the temperatures start to drift downward, slowly becoming crisp and cool without moving all the way to chilly. I love the dusk, as the light fades on the horizon and the sky turns indigo blue.

I'm looking forward to this fall - my first in the mid-Atlantic region of the US. In the deep south, the fall tends to be slow to start and long to linger - the months changing before the temperatures and leaves begin to fall. I don't know what it will be like here, but I'm looking forward to finding out. My scarves are ready and waiting, my knitting needles are looking at me with a sharp desire to be useful...

...and my paintings are moving from the birds of spring and summer to the golden leaves that start to flutter in the breezes...keep an eye out here and in the shop. In 30 days, fall will be here...you're not going to want to miss it.

1 comment:

  1. What ARE you up to??? Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete