Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Emory and the Last (random) Day of Summer

Emory

Emory is going into the shop. He likes to eat blueberries. They make him feel indulgent and reckless.

***

We went to the pool today for what will likely be the last time this season. There's a front brewing and the temperatures will be dropping over the next week - into the mid 70s, which is entirely pleasant and exciting - but when you have a kid with 0.2% body fat...it doesn't make for happy pool days.

I could go in the pool and stay warm just fine. I have my layer of blubber to keep me warm.

***

Do you remember when you were a kid and summer just stretched out forever until *poof* one day it was just gone and you were wearing stiff new Levi's and the whitest Keds imaginable and shuffling to the school bus with a kind of dazed expression on your face, holding your Scooby-Doo lunch box with the smooshed peanut butter and jelly sandwich inside and wondering what the hell just happened?

Maybe that's why I homeschool.

Although, given that that was quite possibly the longest run-on sentence ever created, I shouldn't.

***

We'll be back in our little schoolroom on Labor Day. ON LABOR DAY? (I can hear you shouting) And the answer is yes. Dr. SmartyPants is off work that day, so we'll have a ceremonial school day in the morning and then go do something fun and completely educational in the afternoon.

I like to start things on Mondays. Partial weeks throw me.

I never recover from them.

***

I'm reading the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke. I started speculating today on sending someone evil into a book where 99% of the people die, in order to dispatch them from my world, and what would happen to that person if I did. I determined that sending evil people into evil situations only squares the evil and evil squared is really evil, so I shouldn't do it. (Even if I could...)

Dang.
***

Enjoy your last days of summer, friends (or winter if you happen to be south of the equator). You never know when someone will read you into another story...

9 comments:

  1. Kristi Birchfield9:15 PM

    Miss you, my friend. So glad we have FB and the blog! (Sydney has taken my blog over for the time being. I was sorely neglecting it!)

    Hope the school year goes well for you guys! Are you still operating under our umbrella or are you flying free these days? If you are, come by and say hi next time you're in town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristi! I saw that Sydney was writing on your blog - that's very cool! I have been missing your voice over there...

    We're flying free these days - just couldn't see the reasoning in doing the umbrella thing again. I struggle with compliance, occasionally... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:18 AM

    I was able to pick up my darling Egret in NY. Thanks for sending! I love him. It's going to be a little while until my husband and I are settled enough to hang things on the walls, but your painting joined my growing collection of paintings/prints/sketches all waiting to find a home!
    Love this last painting and blog entry. All the best with homeschooling. My parents homeschooled me back when the movement was just starting out and gaining steam. I'm very grateful!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this summer went by way too fast! I blinked and I missed it :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca - oh, I'm so glad you got the painting! I hope you enjoy it every day once you get settled enough to hang it in your collection. Thanks, too, for the homeschooling love - I love to hear from success stories!

    Jennifer - I know - it's really ridiculous, isn't it? I think it's shorter every year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:08 PM

    Love this work you do lately Diahn!
    ronell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Ronell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emory has the sweetest look in his eye! Love him.

    My granddaughter read Inkheart and lent it to me to read. It's my the big stack of books. I've found so many lately that I want to read.

    Enjoy your fun and educational Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Do you remember when you were a kid and summer just stretched out forever until *poof* one day it was just gone and you were wearing stiff new Levi's and the whitest Keds imaginable and shuffling to the school bus with a kind of dazed expression on your face, holding your Scooby-Doo lunch box with the smooshed peanut butter and jelly sandwich inside and wondering what the hell just happened?"

    Totally had that moment today, even on a saturday. It was a late afternoon after my son's football game at Bearden (minor pee wee). I snagged a shot of him and his three friends playing on the top row of the bleachers and it just said AUTUMN to me. Sigh....where did summer go?

    ReplyDelete