Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Emory and the Last (random) Day of Summer

Emory

Emory is going into the shop. He likes to eat blueberries. They make him feel indulgent and reckless.

***

We went to the pool today for what will likely be the last time this season. There's a front brewing and the temperatures will be dropping over the next week - into the mid 70s, which is entirely pleasant and exciting - but when you have a kid with 0.2% body fat...it doesn't make for happy pool days.

I could go in the pool and stay warm just fine. I have my layer of blubber to keep me warm.

***

Do you remember when you were a kid and summer just stretched out forever until *poof* one day it was just gone and you were wearing stiff new Levi's and the whitest Keds imaginable and shuffling to the school bus with a kind of dazed expression on your face, holding your Scooby-Doo lunch box with the smooshed peanut butter and jelly sandwich inside and wondering what the hell just happened?

Maybe that's why I homeschool.

Although, given that that was quite possibly the longest run-on sentence ever created, I shouldn't.

***

We'll be back in our little schoolroom on Labor Day. ON LABOR DAY? (I can hear you shouting) And the answer is yes. Dr. SmartyPants is off work that day, so we'll have a ceremonial school day in the morning and then go do something fun and completely educational in the afternoon.

I like to start things on Mondays. Partial weeks throw me.

I never recover from them.

***

I'm reading the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke. I started speculating today on sending someone evil into a book where 99% of the people die, in order to dispatch them from my world, and what would happen to that person if I did. I determined that sending evil people into evil situations only squares the evil and evil squared is really evil, so I shouldn't do it. (Even if I could...)

Dang.
***

Enjoy your last days of summer, friends (or winter if you happen to be south of the equator). You never know when someone will read you into another story...