Pages

Thursday, April 03, 2008

040308 - Uhhh...Not Exactly


Uhhh...Not Exactly, originally uploaded by diahn.

I started out with such high hopes. I ended with...uhh...this. It was supposed to be a tulip beginning to blossom. In my defense, the greens are not this weird in real life - no matter what I did, I couldn't tone down that yellow. It's not so garish in the sketchbook.

But...that's okay. I drew something and I painted it. That's the point, right?

gouache in Maruman watercolor sketchbook

6 comments:

  1. I love the way you captured the bud peeking out. And the green is kind of neat even though you see it differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The artist is almost always more critical of their own work. Looks nice to me. I would even like to see some glazes of light color in the background near the bottom. Maybe a blue to play off the cool greens and cyans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto that. I was just enjoying the color and line work. Maybe it would be something to start out with no expectations then just drink in what we end up. Regardless, you put beauty on paper. That's cause for celebration.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, folks - I appreciate your comments and your perspectives. It is hard to not be too critical of one's own work sometimes, innit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! This is great! It doesn't look garish -- it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually love this one, Diahn...not garish-looking to me at all. I like the highlights on the tulip getting ready to burst into flower. Nice work ~

    ReplyDelete