Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

042208 - Smoky Sketches

I did a little sketching while we were gone, but not nearly as much as I would have liked.  There was so much to look at, but keeping up with two young adventurers slows down the drawing activities considerably.

We took the very easy hike to Cascade Falls, near the Sugarlands Visitor Center on the Gatlinburg edge of the park.  There is a log bench just in front of the falls that sits under a large rhododendron bush.  I leaned back against Dr. Smarty Pants and drew the leaves over my head. 

Rhododendron

 I decided to leave them as the contour drawing that I started with - I loved the holes in them and the patterns of shadows they created on the ground.

I tried to draw Oscar as he rested in front of the camper one afternoon, but I think I had my book at an angle or something because his snout is decidedly wonky.

Squishy

And then...the trillium.  Lovely, marvelous, delicate and yet strong.  What else can I say - they are beautiful.  My drawing...not as beautiful, but at least I have a record of what I saw, no?  (If you want to see some really nice trillium drawings, go see Linda.  She painted the ones in her backyard!

Trillium

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I LOVE that beautiful trillium! I love looking at them in our woods also which I am going to see way too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sketches... wonderful to see the trillium... they'll be out here soon too. At least I hope they will

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Trillium Rocks!! Strong, woods-ey, I just love the effect on the leaves especially!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your contour drawing, Diahn. And your dog's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful drawings! The little walk to the falls is perfect for kids.
    You really nailed the pattern of light and dark on the trillium leaves -- they are so complex and random, which is just fun! Feel free to come by anytime and draw the trillium in the back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:28 AM

    These are great sketches. I really like that light and dark pattern on the blue.

    ReplyDelete