Pages

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

March Mango Madness!!!


I've been looking forward to this all week!! The month of ORANGE!! My first orange drawing is of the mango colored leather chairs that DH and I drove down to Birmingham to pick up last weekend. We saw them on an anniversary trip in January, just couldn't quit thinking about them, and finally decided to just do it - how many times in your life are you given the opportunity to own such magnificent chairs??

Anyhow - they are currently languishing in the bedroom of this little apartment we are living in while our house is being built. As a matter of fact, we are all languishing in it - 30 more days - 30 more days...just a little mantra to keep me from losing it entirely...

They are positively gorgeous and just glow (and not in a scary fluorescent kind of way). I'm so happy to have found them. I have been constantly frustrated shopping for furniture in Knoxville. Everything is either curved, carved, oversized or flowered - which is fine if you like that sort of thing...but I don't.

Here's the real thing, too - taken while still in residence down at Peck & Hill's in Birmingham.

Oh - I have a question for all you watercolorists out there - do my watercolors dry "chalky" because they are a cheap set I bought on impulse one day, or do all WC dry like that?
 Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Magnificent Mango chairs, indeed! I can see how they would get into your head and not get back out again until you had gone and picked them up!
    What kind of paper are you using your WC on? They shouldn't really feel chalky, except on the Moleskine paper, or other plate finished paper -- at least not in my experience. And what kind of WC paints are you using? If you're using cheap stuff, we certainly need to have a talk about this! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:49 PM

    Diahn,
    No, they shouldn't dry chalky, but like Linda said, it depends a lot upon the quality of paper you're using. Some paints are more transparent than others, also; that's a factor.

    Have fun with your orange frenzy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! GREAT JOB on the chairs!!! And you've given me so many ideas about how to treat color!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diahn, love the chair, both your rendering and the original! Just wondering, what color are you going to be in in April when you come to the Asheville sketchcrawl? Meanwhile, I can't wait to see what else you do with the orange.

    ReplyDelete