Pages

Friday, March 10, 2006

EDM #56 - Self Portrait - in orange, of course...

I let the boys sleep in this morning, and while it was quiet, stole a few minutes in front of the bathroom mirror NOT tending to this unruly hair for a change. The Everyday Matters Group weekly challenge last week (yes, I'm late, as usual) was to draw a self portrait. So - I started on the left hand side of the paper with a blind contour self portrait just to warm up. I kind of like it's wonky appearance.

On the right is the self portrait I drew while looking in the mirror AND at the paper. It's much closer to what I really look like than the one on the left :-). It's not spot on, but for a quick drawing (less that 10 minutes) I think I've captured some of me. I could critique it forever (my nose is not really that wide, for instance), but instead, I'm going to focus on the positives. I drew it from life, in PEN, and in orange and still managed a reasonable likeness. That's huge, folks (especially the life and pen part). I didn't noodle it to death - just drew, drew over and moved on. Also huge.

Okay - time for you who know me to chime in. Does it look like me? My boys recognized it as me immediately (the one on the right, that is...)
 Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. D, They're both terrific! I LOVE the blind contour for all it's festive line work. (It's you, at Mardi Gras!) And the image on the right is just llovely... soft, sure, relaxed. Regardless of likeness, it's really well done. Bravo on both of them.
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Goodness, I couldn't even hit the page blind and in your own way, you have made both pogiant pieces in their creation and by what you see blind. What a blessing and gift you have my friend, keep going and growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great - especially done from life with orange pen. I like the colours. The blue background works well. I love your jellyfish too. What a good idea, having a colour a month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liek them both, but the blind ontour is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of the BC next to the "real" portrait! Very nice! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Yes! It DOES look like you! You said you were going to do it in pen, and I thought you'd given it up -- this is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:11 PM

    great combo and impressive, in its own right, but then knowing that it was all in 10 minutes? wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great....love seeing them side by side like this!

    ReplyDelete