Pages

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Sketching away a Saturday


Linda and I were inspired to go sketching on Saturday - the weather was fantastic, clear and warm - the hubbies and kids were otherwise occupied - and by golly...we just had to go!

We started out at the corner of Church Street and Gay Street - at the mysterious sculpture of the Rowing Man - is he rowing up out of an alternate reality? Is he sinking into a patch of wet concrete? Who sculpted him...there's not a plaque or any kind of marker indicating the artist, and a Google search doesn't reveal anything. I'm intrigued...aren't you??? I hope the photos give a sense of scale - he's really monumental, highly detailed and gorgeous.
***update: The sculpture is "Oarsman" by David Phelps, installed on this corner in 1989.

update #2***I just got a nice comment from Mr. Phelps, who said the sculpture was installed in 1988. Thanks for the update, David - and thanks for your kind comment!

We wandered around a bit, looking at some of the architecture around town (some very interesting, others very shiny...) and ended up passing through the japanese magnolia blossoms at the entrance to Krutch Park. We did a little shopping in Market Square, where I bought a lovely little hat and then stopped in The Tomato Head for a Diet Coke and a sketch break.
That bird is supposed to be a pigeon...apparently I need to do a month on birds...the lady in the sunglasses was not as pregnant as I've made her appear, so I hope she never sees this ;). The other lady had great, enviable wavy hair casually swept up off her neck - I love hair like that. Mine is stick straight and no amount of persuading will have it otherwise. sigh.

The lamp post, from my chair, looked like it was getting a big hug from the tree next to it - a bit Narnian in feeling, if you know what I mean.
This sketchcrawling thing is getting kind of addicting - everything starts looking like fodder for the Moleskine, these days! I am looking forward to my next opportunity...
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. I was just passing by and saw your blog title. Your sketches are lovely. Boy, Knoxville has sure changed since we were there. My wife was in grad school there about 15 years ago. Is OCI still there on the strip? I know everything changes. Keep up the beautiful work.
    Regards,
    Mark
    http://picforlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:00 PM

    Diahn,

    I have just started reading/enjoying your blog the last couple of weeks. I must say, you certainly have inspired me to pick up pen and ink/brush and watercolor. I am having a bit of a problem using water colors over my ink drawings; altho, they say "waterproof" hummm, leaves a bit to be desired! Any suggestions?
    Your work is lovely, by the way.

    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Lookin' good! I knew the color additions would punch these up even further. And I love that orange line. I'm calling the library tomorrow morning to find out who did the sculpture, by golly. I think you and I should plan on going out sketching again SOMETIME before Asheville, though -- as you say, this has become an addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:22 AM

    I like the rowing man, very neat!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, so I found your pages after landing on Diane's site and readinb about your Saturday sketch crawl. Great color, and so fun to see how each of you handled the objects differently. Thanks for the look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just lovely work. Love the different colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diahn -- the sculptor's name is David Phelps, from Norman, Oklahoma. The piece was installed in 1989, and there is an article about it (and other Knoxville sculpture) in the Knoxville News Sentinel on September 20, 1992. I found this from the reference desk librarian, but when I got home, discovered that my sister had (somehow) found the answer first!
    One riddle solved. Now if we could just figure out what that song was ...
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the comments, everyone! Tami - I guess it depends on the ink you are using and the paper you are putting them on - I am generally using a Staedtler Triplus Fineliner for my drawings, with Van Gogh half-pan watercolors on top - but not overly wet, as they bleed through the Moleskine paper if I over-wet them. I also give the ink ample time to dry before I add any color - which I usually do back at home after being out sketching.

    Linda - Great research!! (although I guess your sister had it one up on you!) I still can't believe there isn't an identifying plaque. And - I think we'll have to find time to go somewhere to sketch - there are still those free Tuesday evenings at the KMA!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful day you had! Love your sketches and the rowing man sculpture....looks like his boat sprang a leak!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diahn,
    The "Oarsman" is a sculpture I installed in1988. You can see other pieces at my website:
    http://web.mac.com/phelpssculpture/iWeb/

    I like your sketch.

    Sincerely, David L Phelps

    ReplyDelete
  11. David,

    Thanks so much for your comment. Your sculptures are magnificent! That's my favorite corner in Knoxville by far!

    ReplyDelete