Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Self Portrait.

Self Portrait with Moonman

Actually, it's a self-portrait, and a portrait.  Mini-me is standing to my left, taking his own self-portrait.

We were in the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, looking at all the amazing rocket ships and lunar landers and Soviet orbiters and so on and so on.   It is really interesting to see the different design concepts the US and the USSR had.  Amazing how creative engineers are.

There is so much to explore here - so much to see.  My instinct is to try and cram it all in to as short a time as possible, because that is usually what we do when we go somewhere to visit.  It's going to be challenging to learn to take small bites and enjoy the flavor of the city.  Every time we get off the Metro at the National Mall, I want to go to every Smithsonian Museum in sight.  What a luxury to take our time to explore.

Yesterday, we met up with Dr. SmartyPants and went to the National Archives to see the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.  Junebug accidentally sent off the flash on his camera and we were scolded by the guards.  Sorry.  I did manage to take a couple of legal pictures.

024

The Declaration of Independence is so very faded, there are very few words that are legible.  I'd love to say that my boys' fascination with this document was because they were so intrigued with our nation's history and what the founders intended this country to be, but really?

It's all because of Ben Gates, Riley Poole, and the rest of the gang from National Treasure.

Thanks Disney.

I think that film was the only way we managed to get Doodlebug to come to DC with us.

025 The Constitution is in much better shape.  Really amazing to see.

I was so enthralled with the penmanship on all of the documents, including some letters written by Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln.  What artistry and grace - so much captured by just a few strokes of a quill - a few drops of ink.

It made me think about what my handwriting says about me.

I think it says that I'm in a hurry much of the time, and that I've grown to rely very heavily on my computer's keyboard to make things legible.

On that note - a quote from Doodlebug, as we were exiting a Metro Station at rush hour:  "Why is everyone in such a hurry?"

Why, indeed?

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I always knew you were a bit spacey...
    :-D Wonderful portrait!

    Why ARE we in such a hurry? Good question Doodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i so want to visit washington dc again some day. have you noticed how much your handwriting has changed over the years or is it just me? when i look back at my writings from junior high i wrote with this giant backward slant. very weird!

    take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:29 AM

    Check out the Natural History Museum, lots of dinosaur bones and such. I loved Air and Space, and I'm prejudiced, but the new Marine Corps Museum in Quantico was outstanding. We spent the whole day there.

    ReplyDelete