Pages

Monday, January 05, 2009

Beginnings.

Hope

Today was the day we started living here.

Before today, we were moving here, you see.  But today - Dr. SmartyPants went to work and we went to school.  Well.  We stayed at home, of course, but we started back to school. 

And actually - we didn't stay at home all day.  The boys and I headed out for our first sans-Smarty Metro ride.  We decided to try a short trip - just two stops away - to make sure everyone understands the rules of the transit system.

It's funny - we go everywhere together, the boys and I.  We've driven hundreds of miles without the Smarty.  We've stayed in hotel rooms without the Smarty.  We've done lots of things on our own - no problem.  But - we've always had the comfort and security of our own car - traveled under our own steam.

Now, I know that people take the subway with their kids all the time, but this was my first experience going without an extra set of hands with me. 

And it was great.

I had the boys look at the map to decide which train to take - only one line runs through our neighborhood station, but they had to figure out which direction to go.  We talked about what to do if we got separated.  Everyone stuck together and made sure they were getting on the correct train.

Having ridden it back in November when we were here looking at housing, and going again yesterday with the Smarty, they were feeling quite confident.  Junebug is no longer willing merely to ride the escalators up or down - he wants to walk them like the commuters do.  Doodlebug gets to the platform and immediately checks the board to see when our train will be arriving. 

It's a beautiful and frightening thing to see your children growing in confidence and ability.  I know that soon there will come a day when Junebug will pull his hand away from mine as we step onto a train - when Doodlebug forgets to look back to make sure I'm behind him before getting off one.  I'm sure it will break my heart a little, just as it causes it to swell with pride.

And that, my friends, is the pain and joy of motherhood.

8 comments:

  1. Ah Diahn this post touched my heart to hear you talk about the boys growing up. It seems not so long ago my boys were their age. Now ha they are in their 30's (yikes)but I have to tell you they will always be your boys and they always call home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And so the BIG adventure begins!

    And mom, be comforted by the knowledge that my 6'4" 24 year old baby still visits and gives me hugs and tells me he loves me. Boys always love their mama! No matter how big they get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they do love their mamas. I got a text from Jesse yesterday telling me just that. And good for you, boys! Way to go, city slickers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:25 AM

    great post. i grew up on the DC metro. aye can hear the "ding dong" of the doors. see the flashing floor lights on the platform notifying of a coming train!

    from the sons perspective i remember the first time i rode without my dad. scared but confident. i learned much from dad, just like your boys are learning from you.

    parenthood is a series of cutting the puppeteer strings. you just had a few cut.

    cry and rejoice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, what a touching post. How exciting to be starting a new adventure with your art and homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You all are making great strides. I can see how it would be scary, but when I think back to my own childhood, I was riding the city bus to school by myself at the ripe old age of six. Of course dinosaurs still walked the earth then too, and kid-snatchers weren't around every corner. Y'all will be just so citified in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh -- it sounds scary and fun to someone who it used to driving everywhere, and NEVER having to ride with strangers...

    That's cool. You'll have to take me when we come visit.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the joys and fears of letting go. I remember I did it better with the second and third child, and miserably failed with the first. It sounds like your on a new adventure in life, a new season!

    ReplyDelete