Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

Cloudy, with a Chance of Passive Aggressive Mathematics

Caracal

Rainy days, especially after a full and sunny week, make me feel just like this caracal. Sleepy, yawny, and just a wee bit grumpy.

Especially with the offspring. Dang. Just get the one math lesson FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK done, already.

I love my oldest boy, but I don't always claim to understand him. He spent a half hour this morning, arguing against the benefits of using graph paper in long division problems.

My stance? "It helps keep your place values in line."

His stance? "I just don't see the point."

Translation? "You are an idiot. You are mean. I don't like you. If I argue against using the paper long enough, you will give up and let me watch TV."

Mercy. I told him to just do the problem without the graph paper - feel free - try it out!  Woo hoo! The result was a jumbled up mess of numbers that made sense to no one. Not even him. My point was made.

Half an hour later?

Still doing division. On the graph paper.

S L O W L Y.

Can anyone say procrastination?

Lord, help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment